Why am I getting sick so much?

I have been on antibiotics 4 times in the past 4 months! Twice for strep throat, once for an inflamed uterus, and this last time for mastitis... That's more than I usually have to take antibiotics in 2 YEARS!!! I have a 4 month old baby, a 2 year old and a 4 year old and am a SAHM, turning WAHM. It has been suggested to me that I am overstressed and not getting enough sleep. Any other ideas? I've even been taking probiotics off and on. (On top of my prenatal vitamin and calcium supplement.)

dixie383

Asked by dixie383 at 7:42 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Health

• It sounds like your body has just been under a lot of stress with pregnancy and a new baby. I think in a few weeks you'll see that things calm down.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 7:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Stress and sleep may be it. If you reduce your stress and get more sleep and it's still happening, then you need to investigate if there's a different underlying cause.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• stress can come in three forms, physical, chemical and emotional.
    physically, your body has been under a lot of stress with your 3 pregnancies that were pretty close together.
    chemically, your body has been under stress with the hormone changes that come with all of those pregnancies and breastfeeding. you have also had all of the antibiotics too.
    emotionally your body is stressed from the babies too! and from starting the work from home as well!

you are going through a lot!!!
    i hope you have a good probiotic with a variety of different cultures. i also recommend a fish oil supplement as well. regular chiropractic adjustments can help your body cope better with the stress too. sunshine will help as well.
    try your best to get as much sleep as possible! i know its hard with all those little ones!

i wish you better health mama!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Stress can really weaken your immune system, it sounds like you have your hands full! Take a good multi-vitamin, as well as vitamin C and zinc. Moderate exercise can help as well, even a half hour of walking can help relieve some stress and get your cardiovascular system moving.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Sounds to me like you're taking too many vitimins and suppliments. You shouldn't need any if you're getting enough daily vitimins in the foods you eat. Taking vitimins ontop of your daily intake can cause adverse reactions inside your body. It could very well be that it's just you taking too many suppliments and vitimins. It could be stress, lack of sleep, too much stress, etc as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:01 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Take the probiotics daily. Antibiotics kill off all bacteria even the good bacteria that your body needs to function. Being on antibiotics often lead to secondary infections. You need to build the bacteria back up. Take probiotics daily. next time you start feeling ill, don't run to the dr for more antibiotics. Take 1 garlic pill 3x per day. It's a natural antibiotic/antiviral & it won't mess your immune system up.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I take prenatals because I am nursing. I take calcium for the same reason- with my older daughter I did not take calcium and ended up with 5 new cavities, and I brush twice a day and floss once a day. I don't usually get that many cavities in that short of a time span. I am taking acidophilus because I am on the antibiotics for mastitis and don't want to also get a yeast infection. I usually do from antibiotics.
    dixie383

Comment by dixie383 (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2010