How important is it for you to have a best friend?

If you have a lot of good friends that provide you different things would it matter that you didn't have one true best friend? And I'm not talking about your DH/SO, I mean another female. You may have a friend that you can hang out with cause her schedule is always flexible, and another friend that you can tell anything too, but you can't talk to her that often. But as long as you had several friends that were there for you would you still feel the need to have that one best friend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Different relationships create different bonds, so sometimes you need more than one "best friend" to get every emotional aspect you need out of friendship. I have several "best friends" and see no reason to label just one as your only "best friend". Friendship is not like a monogamous relationship that is healthy to have with a spouse; you can have several friends that you love equally, but have completely different connections with.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• not all its cracked up to be. I went from having alot , to none.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't have a bestfriend. I barely have friends. Since I've become a mommy before some of my friends we lost interest inone another. Some of them are mommies now and still want to hang out and party and that's just not me. I want to raise my children, not have grandma or a babysitter raise them. Sometimes it gets lonely but I get over it.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 8:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Same with me, I went from having several best friends to none when they all backstabbed me and thought that they could make my life as miserable as theirs. To this day I really don't need one.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have a female best friend. We do not live any where near each other & we have not seen each other in almost a year. But we talk as often as we can. I really feel a connection with her, she is caring, understanding, sweet, loyal, honest. She is not afraid to say what I NEED to hear, not just what I WANT to hear. She always has a sympathetic ear, an understanding heart, & a shot gun if necessary- LOL. I trust her completely.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have had a very close friend since HS. We have been through a lot together as well as seen each other through a lot. It is rare that we NEED each other, but she called me in tears yesterday b/c she needed to talk at 630 in the morning. I got up and talked. Those are the friends who will be there when you need them. I don't feel the need to HAVE a best friend, but am certainly blessed to have her as a part of my life.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• As long as you get what you need, what does it matter if you have one or many! I have a handful of really good friends that are there for me. I do think that everyone needs someone to confide in besides their DH/SO.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have a best friend who lives a distance from here. We have known one another since college, and she still likes me LOL! We email every day and snail mail every couple weeks. When we talk on the phone or see each other in person it is as though we live next door. I know I can bring concerns and problems to her and she doesn't criticize.

Answer by Bmat at 8:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My best friend is a guy, not a female. I call him my best friend because i have known him the longest & been besties since elementary school. I think "best friend" is really just a label. I don't think it's "important" to have a best friend. If you are married & have a wonderful spouse, that is even better!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My DH is my best friend. My female best friend died last year, I miss her everyday. I don't feel the need to have a best friend in my life. I have several close friends, that's fine with me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:12 AM on Aug. 19, 2010