How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to talk?

my son will be 3 in November, and only says a hand full of words. Everyone keeps telling me one day he'll just wake up and just start talking away. But I'm starting to get worried. He seems to have made his own language. He understands everything we tell him and does everything will telll him. he just won't talk. I'll try to get him to say letter sounds and if he doesn't feel like it he says mmmm, no. Any suggestions on how to get him to talk??

dar33077

Asked by dar33077 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he wants something don't give it to him unless he can tell you what he wants. I had to do that with my DD who is now using 2-3 word sentences at just over 2. Everywhere else she is severely advanced but this is where she was slow for so long. I wish you luck, but if you do this you can't give in or he will continue to use his own language.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well, I say, if he can understand you AND he is bright enough to tell you no when he is asked to speak., the, he will talk eventually. LOL What I say is force the talking. For instance: Don't give him something if he just points, grunts ask in his own language, whatever. Like if he wants his cup.....You say, "CUP". And he may whine, cry, throw a fit..... And again you say, "CUP". Continue for a bit and if he comes real close to saying cup, give it to him. He will have to associate words with communication. If he tries to talk to you in his language or how ever he tries to talk to you, you remind him to use his big words. And keep forcing the issue and trying to get him to say them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• "People" may be right....one day it may just come to him :)

But in the meantime...I would mention to your pediatrician that you want a referral to a speech therapist in your area. MOST of the time there is a STATE sponsored program where services are FREE...yes FREE!

They can teach you ways to work with him at home and they can give you their expert opinion on what they think the problem might be, if there is one.

My dd has been in speech since 18 months old :) To them, its like play time, they think its great! CALL TODAY! :) It may be just the push your son needs :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Both my sons did the same thing one is 6 and talks up a storm now. I find with boys they talk when they want to. I also have a 2 yr old son and he will be 3 in Dec and he is just now starting to talk more. Just give it time he will talk.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 8:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have to agree with the other ladies. Plus, when you read the paper or anything for that matter, read it out loud. So often if its just mom or dad alone with toddler all day long, speech is mostly about feeding, potty training etc. Might just be boring speech to your child. Read his books out loud even if he doesn't 'appear' to be listening. They are sponges at this age.
    Sashally

Answer by Sashally at 8:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Make him ask like a big boy. My dd just turned 2 and has been speaking in sentences for months now! I agree with coala, dont give him something unless he asks. He oviously know what they are called, but by not making him use his words is kinda babying him.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Make him say whatever it is he wants. I wouldnt be to worried honestly, kids develop at their own rate.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• thank you everyone!
    dar33077

Comment by dar33077 (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• GET INTERVENTION NOW
    Don't sit back and wait. 3 is way past the "late talker"phase. Call your local school district about an Early Childhood class.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It is normal. It is very normal. Don't panic.
    Talk to him all the time like he can respond back to you. And try to get him to say easy words. One day he will start talking without trouble.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:56 AM on Aug. 19, 2010