I forgot (GD Question)

So I need to do the one hour test. What are the rules?

I have to go into a lab to get my blood drawn. What time frame do I need to follow. So I take the drink in 5 minutes after fasting an hour. How long do I have before I need to have my blood drawn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You drink the nasty drink after fasting and you sit for an hour trying not to puke. Then, they draw blood. And finally, you are safe to go puke that crap back up. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It was 30 mins to an hour wait after I drank that crap. Mine was Orange flavored.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You take the drink and then go back in an hour to get your blood drawn. Some people say to fast, my doctor told me I didn't have to. I had toast the morning of. I would call your doctor if you have any questions.

Good luck!
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 8:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Mine was "orange" too. Haha Yeah right, orange. I heard "cola" was worse. I had to sit for a whole hour.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:18 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Mine was also orange. I had to fast after midnight. Drink down the garbage and keep from barfing it up for an hour after I drank it It was HORRID! I don't do well with medical diagnostic liquids (like barium when they need to x-ray your stomach.)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 8:34 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Honestly, it varies by doctor and lab...
    I had to fast for 12 hours, drink the glucalose, stay at the office and had my blood drawn after an hour. I've never had a problem with it making me sick though. I do always end up with GD in the end....sigh...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:42 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Sorry nvr had that done.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would imagine your care provider would tell you what they want done. I didn't have to fast or drink the nasty orange drink. They had specific breakfast requirements for me to eat before I took the test. I think it was a piece of toast, one egg, and an 8 oz glass of o.j. Which makes much more sense to me, the orange drink they give you is trying to put you in a stress situation but your glucose levels are not going to be that high on a normal daily basis. GD is over diagnosed because of this, not to mention that a pregnant woman's glucose levels are normally higher but the levels they use as a range are lower than when not pregnant.

I skipped the test for my second pregnancy. I had no risk factors and even if I had GD the only risk is a slightly larger baby. These are a couple of articles that explain it better than I do.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=997295

cont.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Second article:

http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2008/01/michel-odent-on-gd.html

I am big on preventative care. This site explains Dr. Brewer's diet, which has a great success rate at preventing common pregnancy diseases such as GD, Pre-Eclampsia, hypertenstion, etc.

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I didn't have to fast, but usually you drink the drink and then an hour later they draw your blood.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010