How can I get my boyfriend to stop drinking????

My boyfriend seems to drink when he is upset, sad or has any problems. It is making me wanna leave him but I love him to much. Just want him to stop

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• you cannot make anyone do anything they don't want to. If he wants to drink, you can't do anything about it.

you have to decide if you want to deal with it or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Hunny my man used to be the same way and we would fight so much about it but every time we fought and I got upset that he was drinking I would keep telling him the same thing that I loved him and only wanted him to stop because I care about him and I told him when he was sober once to just come to me when he was upset and i would be there for him and listen to him and eventually he learned to open up and talk to me instead of drowning it in alcohol and we are doing so much better. Just be nice to him and keep up the faith it will get better eventually.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 2:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You Can't!!! He's going to do it no matter what you do or want for him. If you really want to get some help for you- check for an Al-Anon group in your area. It will help with any problems you may have with living with a drinker. A website to check out is www.al-anon.alateen.org/members or contact wso@al-anon.org. They will help you find a group near you. Or you may contact me and I will do all I can to help you find the right group. Hang in there!
    mom-n-grandma-4

Answer by mom-n-grandma-4 at 4:20 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Man all you can do is tell him how you feel! And hope that makes a diffrence. Other than that you cannot change him he has to change him self. Pray Pray Pray. Ask God for help with the situation.
    Anangelsmommy7

Answer by Anangelsmommy7 at 5:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree with the post above me, he has to want to stop drinking. You cannot MAKE him quit. Some men will listen when you talk to them about their drinking and some men take it offensively. Drinking has broken up more relationships, it is just as bad as men going out on their lady. Because if that is what they want to do, no matter what YOU say or talk to them about they will do what THEY WANT TO DO. If it is bad, like you can't stand it no matter how much you love him, then you need to ask yourself if you can live like that.
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I was the same way. I'd drink when I was upset or sad, hell even when I was happy. lol. I had a problem and it sounds like he has a problem too. Just tell him that you're concerned about his drinking. Maybe it'll help him realize that he is drinking too much. If he takes offense, back off. Don't push the issue.
    SKARISKARA

Answer by SKARISKARA at 7:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You CAN'T make him quit drinking. He'll have to hit bottom before he stops. My husband was a drinker. When he hit bottom he hit hard. 7 years ago he took a vehicle that was titled and insured in my name, got sloppy drunk, hit a car head on, killed the driver and paralyzed the passenger. He is doing 10-22 years for the accident. His case was the first tried under Michigan's new drinking law and because the vehicle was in my name, the new law allowed the court to charge me. I did 10 months in county jail and 5 years of probation, part of my plea bargain was to pay $38,000 to the families. We lost everything and had to put our son with family for over a year. You have to make some hard choices. As long you allow it you'll enable him. Do you want to put yourself and your kids through all that? If you'd like to talk more about this email me. bgrogan@cedarville.net . Beth
    michiganmaiden

Answer by michiganmaiden at 9:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2008