I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

My mom has temporary custody of my niece while my sister is in jail. My niece is 4 and will NOT sleep at night. It takes forever to get her to go down and then she wakes up with bad dreams. This little 4 yo has serious separation issues from all the crap my sister has put her through. On the suggestion from the pedi we have tried melatonin, getting her outside more, warm milk, and my last resort was benadryl. Nothing is working and my parents are that their wits end. Any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

coala

Asked by coala at 8:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I hate to suggest it, but maybe letting her watch cartoons while she falls asleep? Maybe that would keep her mind on that when she goes to sleep instead.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would definatly try letting her watch a movie or cartoons to fall asleep.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• reading stories, try reading the book "the no-cry sleep solution" it has some good techniques in it that work.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• They need to go to counseling.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Therapy? She may need some help. A good therapist may be able to seriously help her
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• She may be having abandonment issues. It may help (and I could be wrong) if she could sleep in the same room as grandma? She could be terrified that the last person she depends on will up and leave her too. Just my opinion...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2010