PIOG--Need some other suggestions.

My mom has temporary custody of my niece while my sister is in jail. My niece is 4 and will NOT sleep at night. It takes forever to get her to go down and then she wakes up with bad dreams. This little 4 yo has serious separation issues from all the crap my sister has put her through. On the suggestion from the pedi we have tried melatonin, getting her outside more, warm milk, and my last resort was benadryl. Nothing is working and my parents are that their wits end. Any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

coala

Asked by coala at 8:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Would she be able to sleep in the bed with your mother? That might help to ease her fear- to know that someone is close and she hasn't been abandoned. Also try rocking her while saying soothing things and telling her you love her- make her feel wanted and safe.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Maybe if not in the same bed then at least in the same room. So when she wakes up she knows someone is right there. Poor Girl! Good Luck!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My daughter was the same way, i went to the store and bought her the baby einstein CD..it worked like a charm i would play it whenever she would go to bed, that cd has played every single night for the past 3 years...

Its just really slow, soft music..and it calms them down alot. Its also a great noise blocker..like if you have friends over or you want to vacume and not wake her up just go push play and it will play through the 19 songs or whatever is on it
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Baby go to sleep is slow lullaby's set to a human heartbeat.

Also, I suggest co-sleeping for awhile. And lots of hugs and kisses. Think about it. Don't medicate her to sleep. She is probably having night terrors and scared she will be abandoned again.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If it were me, I would try lying down with her until she went to sleep and leaving on a nightlight. I would also see about getting her in counseling, it sounds like she has really been through a whole lot.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I appreciate all of the suggestions. My mom does lay down with her until she falls asleep. She also has a flashlight next to her bed so that she can get grandma in the middle of the night if something is wrong. She sleeps fine at my house so this is all a little bit strange, but she has been through so much.
    coala

Comment by coala (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• is the kid going to therapy? maybe if she faces and deal with her fears then she would sleep better... also cosleeping was going to be my suggestion but sounds like it is already happening. i would want her to go to a good child psych (should be paid for by the state because the mom is in jail and caused the trama.)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2010