• In the Spotlight:

Do you buy new or take what you can get for hand-me-downs?

My niece is having her first baby and wants NOTHING used! I have TONS of stuff taking up space in my attic that is in perfectly good condition. I have heard that she plans on having another one after the first, so used stuff just won't do for the first baby. I get that we like to have a few nice new things for our babies, but what's the big deal about getting used clothes? They are going to spit up on them just the same. Why waste money on a new highchair, if someone in your family has one? A diaper pail is a diaper pail, they all hold stinky diapers! It just annoys me that she seems to think she is better than everyone else and EVERYTHING must be new! What do you prefer?

JGRIMMER

Asked by JGRIMMER at 8:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL...first time young entitled mom. I had new because at first no one had hand me downs for me. When they did...I gladly accepted all I could get.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• im a FIRM believer in recycling, when my daughter was born, i think i had to buy her 1 or 2 outfits and the rest were hand me downs or from my dad who would pick up stuff at yard sales. Even her carseat and stroller were hand me downs from her cousin who was a year older.

3 years later, im still getting hand me downs from people and i just keep passing them along or i keep them for our next baby.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 8:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I got tons of used clothing for my DD and I couldn't have been more than thrilled. Especially getting all of the newborn, 0-3m, 3-6m, and 6-9m stuff, because she only wore those clothing for a little bit of time. Everyone who had babies in my family and my hubby's family gave us all of their clothes and now I'm passing them on to other people in the family.... I think it's such a great idea to save money :) We also got tons of new stuff as well, after the baby came I couldn't even remember which outfits were new and which ones had been been used!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I take hand me downs, and I get new! At the shower, all things should be new tho!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I had a friend that was like that. She already had 2 kids and still got new stuff for the new baby. I don't get it, but to each his own.

Being a first time mom, I think she should have her shower and see what she gets and whatever she doesn't get new then she can get from you as hand me downs. She does deserve some new things and not get all hand me downs.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Depends on our situation. If we have the extra money then at times I'll buy them somthing new. If we don't have the extra money then I'll get whatever I can afford.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I understand wanting new stuff, especially if you plan on having more. We would like at least 4 or 5 kids so I wanted mainly new big items so I knew how they were cared for and such. They won't last if they have already been through 2 or 3 kids before mine. Now saying that, we did get our crib, changing table and dresser given to us, used. And I will gladly accept used clothes. For our first we got a new swing and carseat. We never even got a high chair until or bouncy seat until #3. Our infant seat is now expired and we will need another new one whenever we have another baby.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• my daughters grandmother brought over three huge boxes, used from a freind of hers, i picked out what i thought i needed and liked, she took the other stuff back to her friend to donate to others, grandma paid her for items i picked out, like 50 bucks for a ton of clothes, baby blankets etc

not much new items here

recycle, donate, thift stores etc
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have a niece that is 9 mo older then my dd I have gladly taken hand me downs she has tons of clothes she barely wears of course I look through it and if there is stuff I dont want we donate it. although the past 2yrs my dd foot grew bigger then my niece so she gets my dd shoes.
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• with my first baby even though I had a baby shower people still gave me thigns and I took anything I could to keep from having to spend lots of money. I mean why not? It would save on money. I took it if it looked decent and wasn't broken, toren or stained up. Same with clothes lets just say for my kids my 5 year old I have only had to buy her very little clothes people give me clothes and with my youngest a lady from my moms work gives her clothes for my DD from her's she buys name brand clothing and they aren't torn or stained up so why not? My sister is the same way though I gave her clothes and she doesn't want them she wants new. I offered hera pack in play it was in really good shape like new, but she wanted a brand new one. I gave her so many clothes that were like new and she wanted/wants new. Our babies are 6 months apart.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2010