I feel like all I do is breastfeed...

I don't want to give up breastfeeding, but I feel like i'm not making enough for my baby. She's almost 3 months old, and I swear she's eating every hour. She sleeps very well at night, which i'm thankful for, but she doesn't sleep at all during the day. It's like she wants to be at the breast all day long. Sometimes the binky will satisfy her for a while, other times she works herself up so much it's a lost cause. She has plenty of wet diapers a day, she's gaining weight exceptionally well for an exclusively breastfed baby, she has a messy diaper at least every 3 days (which her pedi says is perfectly fine), but I still feel like i'm just not making enough for her. Has anyone else had a baby that did this? How did you get through it? It gets better, right? I have two other children to take care of as well, otherwise I wouldn't mind.

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 2:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Three months? Normal.

And count your blessings. If she didn't nurse so much in the daytime, she'd be doing it at night.

There's nothing wrong here. The system is designed for Cave Mom, who never had to do anything else.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I have twins and I breastfed my youngest too. I know it hard but its best for the baby. I felt that way a lot of the time but it does get better. Sometimes they go through a grow spurt and alls they want to do is eat. It will last for just a little bit but not much longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• that was what it was like the month my milk ran dry. be very careful. be sure to talk to your doc about it.

adoramydear

Answer by adoramydear at 2:32 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Yeah I started feeling like all I was, was a boob. LOL. I think she just really likes feeding its probally a comfort thing for her. Like a blankie or a binky is to some kids. I have no advice though other than try and stick it out! You will not regret it I promise. It creates a bond like no other! Good luck and God bless!
    Anangelsmommy7

Answer by Anangelsmommy7 at 5:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• 3 months is a crazy tough period of breastfeeding. Most moms feel like their milk has run dry because it's a huge growth spurt for baby, not only physically but developmentally. You will feel like that for 1-2 weeks. Totally normal. It's frustrating as hell though. My last baby (#4) did it for about 10 days and I was seriously ready to quit. Then once he stopped I was engorged lol.
    Keep books with you, make feeding time reading/movie time for the other kids. Have snacks for them all day so that they can stop and munch when you sit down to feed. My kids all of a sudden got hungry when baby latched on. And nurse. Be patient, it does go. If baby's nappies are wet your milk is fine and it will pass.
    But yes it's annoying. The next spurt like that will be at about 6 months and again at 11-12 months.
    zarqmum

Answer by zarqmum at 7:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Your child is probably growing. My daughter breastfeeds like crazy when she's going through a growth spurt until my milk supply increases, then she slows down again. It's a little frustrating because you get nothing done, but since your daughter has plenty of wet diapers, you're definitely feeding her enough. Good luck!
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 8:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• add me to yahoo (world_logan@yahoo.co.uk) or msn: worldoflogan@hotmail.co.uk and we can chat, im a breastfeeding adviser
    kieranloganmom

Answer by kieranloganmom at 1:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2008