Do you think that age of the mother plays an important role in parenting?

This is a spin off of another question I read. I am a 21 year old mother (I have a two year old) and I think that I'm a pretty darn good mom. I am a military wife and my daughter has delays. She has three different therapies every week plus many doctors. I have more to deal with than many older moms, yet I feel like people look down on me because of my age.

So do you think it matters? I mean within reason. I think that most 14 year olds, do not make great parents, but I'm talking a 20 year old compared to a 30 year old. Just curious!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 2:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't think it makes a difference in the quality of your parenting, but I think it might make your style a little different...my sister started "too" early (before she was out of high school) and she is an amazing caring parent but she feels like she missed out on being young...I started at 22, I'm now 25 with one child and one on the way, and I don't feel like I missed out, but I think I would be more patient if I was older and not worried about money and college as much as I do now. I know starting out older comes with its own set of trials, so I don't think any one is "better" just different.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i dont think age has ANYTHING to do with your parenting skills.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I agree, age doesn't really effect parenting skills.

I've known 40 year olds that are worse parents than a 16 year old and vise versa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Well I too am a military wife and I have twins that are 4 years old and a 18 month old and I'm only 22. I know I'm a damn good mom. I don't think it matters how old you are. I mean with in reason. I think it really depends on your maturity level. I'm sure people looked down and still look down on me. But what do I care. I know I'm a good mom and my kids are healthy and happy and that's all that matters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• you are just trying to start trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• it does not matter your age. you just need to take care of your kids. if someone else is raising your child then you are pathetic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I am 23, my daughter is 8 months and my step son is nearly 7. Everyone assumes that my step son is my bio-son and we don't correct them because his bio mom is 30 and has no job, lives at her boyfriend' mother's house, leaves him play video games all day, keeps him up late on school nights, takes him to school without breakfast or brushing his teeth, and a slew of other things. I don't that age, within reason, is a huge factor. I actually have a good friend that had her daughter at 15 and her daughter has never suffered for her mother being young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• It doesn't matter what age you are as a mother, as long as you do your job!
    and there are 14,15,16 etc year olds that are great parents, you shouldn't judge at all.
    mamaxkitty

Answer by mamaxkitty at 3:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I believe this varies widely from individual to individual. My Mom had my brother at 18 and then waited until she was 30 to have 3 more children. *SHE* feels like she was a better Mom at 30. She wasn't ready to be a Mom yet, she had a lot of growing up to do, she matured a lot in those years.. etc. I do not think this applies to everyone. Some people need time to "grow up" and sow their wild oats, etc. Some don't need that time. Some women can be older and still not mature enough to parent well. I don't look down on any Moms because of their age.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:16 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i think that if you got pregnant and you KNOW your unfit to raise your child, but still want to be in their life so they know who you are and you let someone else raise your child. i think that makes you a GREAT parent... youre letting SOMEONE else raise your child! Thats HARD to do.. giving up your rights to your own child shows that you want what is best for them so anon @ 11:36 pm... i dont think its pathetic at all. i think its SMART to do that if you are unable to do it yourself.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 5:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008