I had emergency surgery & had to abruptly stop breastfeeding. I switched my 13 week old son to all formula & he got bad reflux. Dr. switched us to Enfamil AR, but now he is so gassy we were up every hour for the past two nights. He was squirming around & obviously uncomfortable. Any advice on where to go from here?

I knew the switch would be rough and I can handle the sleepless nights, but I just feel so bad that he is so uncomfortable and probably very tired. We have been using milicon and that does not seem to have done much.

lisadeece

Asked by lisadeece at 9:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Change formula again. Maybe soy. Mine was like that until I did soy.
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 9:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Are you still producing milk? Can you try to nurse again? If you can't, look for another formula that's for more sensitive tummys than the Enfamil AR.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Is it possible for you to go back to breastfeeding again? When my oldest was just about 3 weeks old I had to have gall bladder surgery and stopped breastfeeding for about 5 days and then started up again after I was better and off the meds.
    mama2my2girls

Answer by mama2my2girls at 9:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• try the lactose free of the emfamil.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Enfamil Gentilease..thats what worked for my daughter.

SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 9:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I used Gentilease, but maybe you can start breast feeding again. It takes a while to stop producing milk.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My son was on a mix of formula and breastmilk the first 4 months of life. I had him on the good start formula. He seemed to do fine.

I don't know the situation around your surgery and all that, but if you want to, it may not be too late to still breastfeed.

Good luck mama! I know babies with upset tummies are no fun!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Relactate is your best course of action

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Unless the surgery was a double mastectomy, it's VERY possible to go back to breastfeeding. Yes, even at this age! It's not necessarily EASY but often easier than Formula Roulette.

If you don't want to relactate you will need to keep trying formulas till you find a winner. See your doc for samples.

And here's the real pisser: VERY LIKELY that you did NOT need to wean. Doctors are sadly misinformed in this area. Example: I've seen hundreds of moms write that they need to wean for gall bladder surgery. NOT TRUE. Been there. Done that. Have the staple scars. And did NOT wean.

You would THINK that you could trust the medical professionals, but unfortunately it's easier for them to just say no than to really research.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with gdiamante....
    I would try to re lactate if he is having so much trouble with formula.... I would start pumping every 2 hours and trying to get him to latch as often as you can... poor little guy is probably miserable
    What kind of surgery did you have? I can't think of any reason anyone would have to give up breastfeeding for more than 24 hours for any surgery (most of the time you don't have to wait any amount of time) ...I think you were very misinformed!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:29 AM on Aug. 19, 2010