Can I cash a cashier's check or do I have to wait for it to clear if I don't have the funds available to cover it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not necessarily will your bank just give you the funds. I worked at a bank where we wouldn't cash cashiers checks for people that didn't have the money to cover it, for just the reason Nsrush83 said. A lot of people will try to copy them. Now, if the cashiers check was drawn off of our bank and we could confirm that it was issued by us, we would cash them outright. They can hold a cashiers check for up to seven business days if it is out of state. I recommend going to the bank that it is drawn off of if that is an option for you. If not, try your personal bank where you may have an account in good standing to help you get it cashed.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It depends on the amount of a cashiers check on if there is a hold on it or not.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• A cashier's check is just like a money order. The money for the cashier's check is already being held but, your bank may hold it for 24 hours.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• a cashier's check is given straight from the bank, right? the bank wouldn't write it, without the proper funds in the payer's account.
    ...i think, anyway.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• you can cash it at the bank it's written off of

if you're trying to cash it at a different bank (say your account is at a different bank) yes you'll need the funds to cover it or you'll have to wait for it to clear

or take it to Amscot and pay a fee (if you have an amscot that is)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• its just like a Money Order
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 9:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• a cashiers check is the same as cash! Why would they hol;d ti? It is like a money order, you cant hold them! You can cash it, and not deposit it,!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Most banks will cash a cashier's check right away because it's guaranteed money (for them).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:41 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Actually, alot of cashiers checks are being copied, so I would either go to the bank its drawn off of and cash it OR deposit it in your accnt and wait about 3 or 4 days to make sure it clears.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I understand that a cashier's check is a check on the bank, not on somebody's individual account. As far as I know the bank where you cash it will give you the money.

Answer by Bmat at 9:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2010