looking for a place for me in religion, any ideas where to start

i grew up Catholic
have not been to church in some time (not including, weddings, funerals etc)

i would love to go to services
BUT
i do not agree with the idea that "we" believe in this
and
you will go to Hell because you do not believe in what we believe in

maybe everyone who does not believe in Christ will go to Hell, but I think that I will leave that judgement to God. As a mortal, I feel that it is not my place to be the judge and jury on this

am I the only one, is there a religion that does not preach this??

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 9:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The church that I started attended is not hellfire and brimstone. It's the first one where I have actually felt like I belonged (in my heat not by the other of the church). You may have to try out a few before you find the perfect fit for you.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I am sort of with jewjewbee on this... the Catholic community is what you make it and finding a church that feels right is the key to your success as a Catholic. The Church is not going out and campaign for more followers ((i.e. Buddy Christ) (can you imagine the criticism then)) nor will they change over night to fit the beliefs that have become more popular in the last 25 years so... keep faith and either work for change from with in the Church (which I personally am hoping to do) or start going to church services in other faiths. Good luck.
    Marirene74

Answer by Marirene74 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Take a theology class - you might be pleasantly surprised ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I felt a lot like you did. I want to share what has been happening to me. See if there is a Catholic radio station in your area and start listening. A lot of the anger and resentment I felt towards the Church was really misplaced and built on lack of knowledge of Catholic teachings. Try listening and see if you can find your way home.
    yogabbafan

Answer by yogabbafan at 2:51 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I have been searching for a place for myself. A couple months ago I stumbled across an author who I really enjoy. I found out he is a Quaker. So I began my research. Quaker seems to be where I am headed. I have messaged this author on FB and he has helped me to find some Friend Meetings near me. I am excited to look into this. I feel this may be the best fit for me. I wish you the best in your pursuit.
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 9:33 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• In my opinion,Lutherans tend to be the least judgemental. You can go to services on Sunday and still have your private prayers sessions at home. Are you looking for the community aspect of it? Are you looking for guidance?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• many people have left the catholic faith because of similar reasons. you are not alone. the catholic church is not trying very hard to get back the people who have left..maybe you can find a more contemporary catholic church somewhere or just start asking your friends and coworkers. GL,finding a church is not easy and imo should not be based strictly on doctrine or denomination.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Check out Unitarian Universalism. I think you might fit in with that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• For me personally, I don't need a church to have faith in my beliefs. I just believe and live the best life I can.

Good luck on your search!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Belief-O-Matic powered by SelectSmart.com

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010