What do your kids do while you do chores?

How old are your kids and what do they do while you are getting the housework done? Do they help you out? Do you let them watch TV? Do they just do their own thing?

I have a problem figuring out what to do with my 2 middle kids (2 and almost 4). My oldest is either not here or she helps a lot and the baby is only 6 months. The 2 kids tend to get bored and then get into trouble and fight if I try to get lots of cleaning done.

mama2my2girls

Asked by mama2my2girls at 9:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is 2. He either makes more of a mess, follows me around, or plays in the kitchen cabinet that I left empty for him to play in with his toys.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:38 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My boys are 9 and 6. For the most part I do my own chores while they're in school if I can manage. On weekends, they have to help me with things before being allowed outside to play. When my children were 2 and 4 I had them play in their rooms while I cleaned, or I got it done during naptime.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My daughter is 5 and helps. She's been helping since she was 2. She knows sooner we get done sooner we can play.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My DD is almost 3. I wake up before everyone else in the house, I work out, then I clean. My house is spotless before the sun rises. Any cleaning that I do during the day, my DD is required to help with. She can do small chores like dust, put the silverware away, take out the bathroom trash (she chose to do this, I do not force her, but she pitches a fit if anyone else does it. She loves to do it), put her toys away, & help make her bed.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My DD is 14 months old and she usually just plays in the kitchen when I'm in the laundry room and kitchen cleaning. She usually just takes the tupperware out of the cabinet and then puts it back and then repeats this until I'm finished haha. When I'm vacuuming she either cries so then I hold her or she chases the vacuum around laughing .... depends on her mood :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• my kids are 5 and 2.5 and they have to clean their room, the hallway (where some of their toys are as well) then they have to bring down all the dirty clothesand throw them to the basement. If there are any dirty dishes upstairs they have to bring them down. When I clean if they brought any toys downstairs I throw them upstairs on the landing and then they have to clean the toys up. If they are done doing all this stuff then they can watch tv or do whatever.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My kids do their own chores plus outdoor chores on an almost daily basis. If they have hands, and can walk and carry something at the same time they need to be cleaning up after themselves. lazy parenting makes busy people
    15,10, and 7 and they have been cleaning up after themselves since about 18 mos. You know the Barney song " clean up clean up"
    I clean once a week and no more.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My kids help. My son is 8 and he cleans his room, makes his bed, does his laundry and takes the trash to the can outside. It is like right across the patio from the back door, and then I take it to the curb on trash day. Then he will usually get that all done in ten minutes because he keeps his stuff generally clean anyway, and then offer to help me or entertain his sister. My daughter is 2 and will help until she gets bored. For some reason, she hates cleaning up her toys but she will help load the dishwasher and put away dishes, dust, "sweep", and "mop". I think it is easiest to allow them to help. It makes more work for me, but I think it helps teach them responsibility. And then when they are old enough to actually help, it won't be so foreign to them.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have mine help me...they've been helping since they could walk.. LoL
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 1:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Mine are adults now, but even when they were young they did chores with me. Granted it wasnt always perfect, but they learned how to do it all, even wash windows. Thats how my Mom raised us, thats how I raised them. Now they keep their own places clean, and know the value of hard work.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010