Bible Verse Question

Can someone explain this so I make sure I am gettin this in the right way, someone told me too look it up after I made a statement and I am not understanding what the one has to do with the other. Can I have ur understanding of this?

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• it might help to explain, if we knew what statement brought this about.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:53 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Are you referring to the first sentence in contradiction to what Jesus said?
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• sry Duh....Religion is different for everyone, just because one person doesn't not go to church every Sunday doesn't make a person any better than anyone else and if people are going to the whole church thing well then it needs to be done seven days a week and not just on Sundays.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• That says to love your enemies. Love those that do you wrong. You are human, you do not have the right to punish and judge. Only God does. He says the son shines on you just the same way it shines on the bad folks same with the rain. Treat everybody as a loved equal regardless.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thats what I thought, so what does that have to do with what I said??
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It is reminding us that love is what He expects. He is Love and we are to LOVE, and we cannot love if we are busy judging or cursing or getting revenge. Its not our place to do anything other than love - leave the rest up to God, and He will do whatever is right, since He is the only one Who knows what that is. Whether or not they get what you think they deserve doesn't matter - God is the judge, and a merciful one at that...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i'm not understanding how you're not understanding the verse? society tells you to love your friends, family, ect. but to hate your enemies, your x friends, someone that did you wrong. the verses say to love all, not just your friends or siblings in Christ, but also love your neighbor, your enemies, your x friends, ect. To be like Christ is to love. but what that has to do with going to church every day except for just sunday i'm not sure...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Were you judging? I'm assuming that you are the one who said " if people are going to the whole church thing well then it needs to be done seven days a week and not just on Sundays." So then the verse is a biblical response to your judging, in which even though they are not attending church according to the way you feel is correct, that God loves them just as much as you.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:42 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• BTW, I added mine before I read you rebuttal.

It means exactly what you think. That if you are a church goer and are a heavy believer, then, do not try to hate me and condemn me to Hell because I am not. You should love me the same and let God deal with me later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You have heard that it was said … hate your enemy. The OT never says that anyone should hate his or her enemy. This shows that, in his “you have heard” statements (vv. 21, 27, 33, 38, 43), Jesus is correcting not the OT itself but only misinterpretations of the OT. God's hatred of evil was a central theme in the OT (e.g., Ps. 5:4–5). Consequently, those who embodied evil were understood to be God's enemies, and it was natural to hate them (cf. Ps. 26:4–5; 139:21–22), but such hatred is never commanded by God. Love your enemies. God hates evil, but he still brings many blessings in this life even to his enemies (v. 45) by means of “common grace” (the favor that he gives to all people and not just to believers). These blessings are intended to lead unbelievers to repentance (Acts 14:17; Rom. 2:4). continued below ...
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2010