Did or Does Your Son Play Little League? Do Other Mothers Make Nasty Remarks?

My son is grown now, but I'll never forget his very first L/L game. He did something wrong and the lady next to me said something nasty about him. Now I'm kind of shy so I kept my mouth shut. I then had to work with her in the consssion stand , with her. I was nice, but not real friendly. Then he got better, but I still remained quiet. One day they were all yelling how good he was, and she was near me, and I was able then to look at her and say very quiety and proud; " That's my son" their yelling about. I felt so good about getting my point across, and I didn't cause any future problems with a long standing future L/L Mother of another boy. It goes to show you, you never know WHO is within ear shot of your conversation.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I can't believe that a mother would say something nasty about another child on the team. I commend you for keeping your cool because if it had been me, I would have told her ass off, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My boys do and no, I haven't heard any remarks from parents (yet.) If someone (an adult) were to make a remark about my kid, in my presence, I won't be quiet about it. It's a game. Some adults take things too seriously.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• my step son did years ago
    he is a real goof
    and was in outfield doing the moon walk or some the robot dance
    he was yelled at by the coach
    we thought it was funny, and had to hide our laughter
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:27 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My son played for the first time this summer and I heard plenty or rude remarks from parents about certain kids and their playing abilities. Luckily, they were never about MY child or else I would have spoken up and told them off.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My DD played last year. I didn't socialize with the other parents so I didn't hear much of their remarks. However, one time my DD was playing 3rd base and are team was on the 3rd base line. She made a mistake and the dads and our team yelled and started grumbling. My DD came off the field crying. I got her calmed down and back on the field. Then when she was gone I totally reamed the men on the bleachers. They will think twice before doing that crap again.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• we spent probably 10 years with travel AAA baseball. ya gotta have thick skin if your kids are playing sports. I've said plenty about other kids on the field and there has been plenty said about all 3 of mine. I dunno what else to say...I'm human and I hate to lose..better learn to live with it guess. They'll be dealing with negativity in the work world and in the rest of their lives.....I don't however recall anything so severe to cause a fight.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It's a shame when the kids are our there to have fun, and learn. The adults a lot of the times by their remarks in or out of the stands are the ones that upset the kids more than the kids do at times. The things that are said can be very hurtful, they are after all kids.
    MyAngel003

Comment by MyAngel003 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2010