Potty Training my 2 Yr Old Before The Baby Comes???? Good Or Bad?

My son is showing interest in potty training. He turned 2 in July and is aware when he has poop (not so much pee yet) and always tells me first. We bought him a potty chair but when we put him on it all he wants to do is play. Whenever we go to the bathroom he says he has to but again, he just plays. I'm not sure if I should continue to encourage him to potty train because we are expecting our second child in October. I have heard stories of children regressing back to "wetting" after another child is born due to jealousy. Is this true for most?

JenniFerKroeum

Asked by JenniFerKroeum at 10:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lots of kids regress whether or not there is a sibling involved. If you can get him trained, go for it. But, if he really isn't ready, he won't do it. LOL Some kids are stubborn. You can always try and see what happens and back off until later if you don't see it happening.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would probably wait, but maybe just keep doing what you are doing now. My grandson who turned 2 in June is pretty much in the same position, except his new sibling is due the end of August. He goes to the bathroom every time we do, but he sits on the potty with his pants on. We feel that he is getting used to the idea but that forcing the issue right now might mean too many changes at the same time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Many children will regress. Or he will want to make a strong distinction between him and the baby by being a big boy. I really feel like you should encourage him, not push him. And deal with what may be in October when they baby comes. I think if he is really interested, you will have a harder time if you don't help him try now.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'd say as long as he is showing interest continue to help him along. If you continue to give him the attention he needs after the baby is born, he may go backwards a while, he may not. But I would definately keep working with him. Give him lots of praise and tell him what a good boy he is, and how proud the new baby will be of a big brother.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think that's good my daughter does the same thing.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Keep encouraging him to go potty. He needs at least 10 minutes to give him time to relax enough to go. He will probably make progress by October. Even though he may regress after baby is born, still keep encouraging him. He'll get it down. My son was almost 3 by the time he was fully potty trained.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'd say keep it very low key at this point and wait until after the new baby is settled in to start any serious training. I'd keep allowing him to try when he asks, but I wouldn't push it at this point. If he chooses to do it on his own I think it will be easier. Also, you never know how long it's going to take to potty train, and October is really not that far away. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'd say that if you feel your child is ready, go for it. But know going into it that he is still rather young and the new baby may cause trouble... so, regression is possible. We can't say for certain. But if you are prepared for it and it isn't a problem, might as well follow his lead.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010