Is your house chaotic? If not I need tips...

My house is chaotic!!! I have 4 kids and we have sports, dinner, reading time and school is coming up. I need help getting my stuff together so we can all be better organized.

What are your tips?? I need some and fast.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in

• chaos here

can not wiat for school to start!

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have 3 kids and a DH out of town on business frequently, so I know what you mean. We have gymnastics, football, rodeo, 4H and church groups. We are on our 3rd week of school already. The only thing that I can recommend is the same thing I have done since they were babies.
    No extra sugar than what would normally be in a healthy meal. No caffeine what so ever. No television. No video games.No phone calls or internet. It makes life so much easier. Bed by 9pm and up at 530. Everyone does what they have to do for homework and getting backpacks ready and clothes for the next day. Car rides are used to do homework and reading. Mealtime is used to discuss the next days plans and schedules and discuss what is needed at school like dues or fees and projects. We leave nothing for the next day, daily issues are dealt with on a daily basis. Once you get rid of TV you'll be amazed at how much time you have. GL girl.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have one child and my house is not chaotic. I think that just working on a regular routine that everyone can reasonably stick to is best.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:29 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• 4 Kids with activities on top is GOING to be chaotic :) sorry :) But I try to cut down on the hectic part just a bit by having things prepared in advance. Such as lunches and cloths laid out in the morning so we dont do the cloths scramble! I like to have my dd's dance outfit in the same bag hanging on the door ready to go etc.

I also teach my kids a lot of self caring behavior...I mean I teach them to solve their own problems....Like : my son cant find his sock...so instead of yelling at me he knows to go to the drawer and find his own. Both my kids know that when they are done with breakfast to clean up their own plates...go brush teeth and change cloths :)

Things like that can really ease a moms job in the morning time!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:32 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have 5 kids, and a DH that travels a lot. I have a monthly calendar that everything goes on, and it keeps things running pretty smoothly.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Oh, it's chaos here. I have 3 kids, babysit one everyday plus my dog. It's pure chaos, but I think I do better with chaos.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Its defiantley Chaos here. Im living with my partner and his parents and brother!!! CRAZY!!!!
    Jolena21

Answer by Jolena21 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• With four kids it's bound to be chaotic. You need to set the routine up for your family because kids will conform to a routine. A set dinner time, time for homework,spots practice after school, etc and so forth will allow for the kids to know the routine and makes it easier on everyone. If you have really small children it can be a lot more complicated because they have their own set of needs and they will take away from all the usual things that need to be done throughout the day.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We have 2 kids and DH & I work full-time. Boys have school, soccer & cubscouts (& DH is cubmaster). Like jewjewbee, we have strict bedtimes, homework time and family meal time. I keep a family calendar to track important dates and everyone has their own color marker so that I can tell at a glance which kid needs what. I have a filing box for the boys' paperwork from school, with a small box for each boy to keep homework items & small craft projects.

We haven't cut out TV entirely, each boy can earn 30 minutes of screen time once homework & chores are done. We have family dinner every night: on the weekend I make my shopping list & menu. I also have a weekly chart of cleaning to help keep the house manageable & the whole family helps. This leaves after-dinner time for us to play a board game or something fun before bed. Both boys have manditory reading time before going to sleep. I think just have a schedule helps the most
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Routine and structure, simplify where you can, see what things you can eliminate/let go, and manage your stress as the rest of the family will feed off of you ... stressful parents make for stressful children.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2010