Would it have been wrong to ask for more mac and cheese in this situation? (details inside)

My husband had a job interview yesterday and so he had to go to that and he told me to take our son and go to the free lunch at the local church. I went and they were serving ribs and a scoop of mac and cheese. The only problem is my son is my son has a food allergy to BBQ sauce. They served me and my son and i begin to feed the baby the mac and cheese and before we left i gave the extra rib to a homeless man sitting next to us. My son was still hungry when we left but i was to embarrassed to explain the situation and ask if he could have another scoop of the mac and cheese. Just didn't seem right when they were giving us a free meal. But when I got home and our son was still asking for food i explained that to my husband and he got mad and said i should have asked for the extra mac and cheese. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I know I would have felt the same way as you and wouldnt have asked either, but I DO think it would have been OKAY if you did. It was for your child and you did give away the rib.
    I'm sorry you were put in that predictament. Is there any way you can get to a food bank to get some food for the house?
    I hope your husband gets that job.
    Youre husband was probably upset from feeling guilty over his child still being hungry and he's not able to provide right now.He's probably more mad at himself than you.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:28 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Honestly, I wouldn't have asked if it were me. It is a free lunch.. they scoop what they can to feed many people.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think when it's free food you take what you're given, and then go get your own more food if you're still hungry.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would have given my son my mac and cheese if I didn't feel comfortable asking for an extra scoop.. better me be hungry then him.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 11:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• No, I don't think you should have asked for more.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with superrmommyy.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Mommy2Gabrielle.. maybe she is at the library or a friends house..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• "Honestly, when I was going through the line, I would have simply told them that he had an allergy to the bar-b-que sauce, could he please have 2 scoops of mac and cheese and no rib."

Agreed
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think I'd either have asked for double mac & cheese with no meat for him to start with, or I would have given him my mac & cheese and eaten his ribs. I probably would not have asked for more food.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I am sure they would have given you more if you told him that your son could not eat the meat.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:02 AM on Aug. 19, 2010