Did you switch doctor's while pregnant?

I am switching doctors. I am 14 weeks. If you switched, did this create any issues with missing certain blood tests? Thanks.

CoachyMom

Asked by CoachyMom at 11:10 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I went to 7 doctors my first pregnancy. I was 5'2" and 100 pounds and the doctors were saying I was too small to have a vaginal delivery and would need a c-section. This was in 1979 when the c-section rate was something like 10%. I found a practice with 5 doctors and a CNM and they said I could try a vaginal birth. Luck was with me and when I went into labor the CNM was available and I had a easy birth with no interventions - no iv, monitor, nothing.

My second birth I planned to have a home birth and my midwife was arrested and banned from doing home births. I had to find a doctor. My third birth I was going to a doctor known for being low tech and intervention free. I became very ill and high risk. I switched to a high risk doctor and had a nice vaginal birth for being so high risk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yeah, i switched at 28 weeks. the only issue i had was a records transfer but that wasnt because i switched. thats because the dr office i transferred from was incompetent.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:17 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• when i found out i was pregnant I was already 18 weeks along (long story short, i didn't have a regular period, or one at all most months, dr said it was from "stress"... or a "baby", lol) so in the span of 22 weeks I saw about 8 different drs. I wanted to see them and at least make aquaintance with them all because i didn't know which dr was going to be on call when the moment came that my little boy decided to make his grand appearance.
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i switched at 30 wks. there were no problems w/ being transferred over. i transferred to a midwife bc the ob i was seeing said that i had to have the GD test when i didn't want to and kept ignoring my request. so, i switched, didn't have the GD test, and went into labor spontaneously at 40w5d.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thanks for answering ladies!
    CoachyMom

Comment by CoachyMom (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I switched at 30 weeks also from a dr to midwife. My only issue was waiting on my old dr to send over records. Other than that no problems at all! PS LOVED my midwife and will go back to her IF I can get pregnant again hehe
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I went to a diffrent doctor after 24 weeks because my doctor wouldnt stop pushing giving my baby up on me. I was a teen ager but the doctor didnt know anything about me and I told him more then once im keeping the baby. So after 24 week check up I went to the only other doctor this small town has for OBGYNs and I LOVE my doctor! He has been my doctor for 5 years now and were somewhat on a friend basis along with him being my doc.
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Amanda-I hope you do! Baby dust!
    Lachrisha, I am sorry that happened for you but I am glad you found someone good.
    CoachyMom

Comment by CoachyMom (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I switched at 32 weeks to a doctor who was VBAC friendly. No issues at all. Just be sure to tell your current office that you need your medical records; either have them send the records directly to the new doc or have them release them to you and you can take them over yourself. The new doc will be able to tell what tests have/haven't been done and go from there. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010