I have been told my baby has extreme low fluid. Has anyone else had this and carried to full or almost full term?

At my 20 week ultrasound, I was told the the baby's fluid level was extremely low. I was referred to a specialist whom I saw yesterday. The whole outlook she was telling me has scared the Hell out of me; still birth, birth defects, and extremely early delivery... Has anyone else had this issue and carried relatively long after the diagnoses? I'm looking for those that have had low fluid in EARLY pregnancy, not those close to term. Thank you!

Anna-Chubaby

Asked by Anna-Chubaby at 11:21 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had this. It was diagnosed when I was farther along than you (28 weeks). My OB told me to drink at least 1 gallon of water a day, no caffeine, and when I felt like my eyeballs were floating, to drink some more. I did exactly that, I kept a cup of water with me constantly, and drank, and drank and drank! My fluid level actually increased some, and I carried my son to 36 weeks! He was small, but completely healthy when he was born! He weighed 4 lb 13 1/2 oz, and went home from the hospital after 2 Days!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I did with my last pregnancy i was never referred to a specialist.. they did monthly unlta sounds and my fluid level went back to the norm and i delivered a healthy baby boy ;)
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Oh, I was told my level will not rise or anything. I have been going at the fluids more so hopefully it might help. Thanks.
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Mine was less than 5%. He was born at 28 weeks, so full term. But he was a low birth weight baby. Meaning he was not developed inside, his kidneys, his liver, keeping up his blood sugar, he also had acid reflux and aspirated during feeding. He was in the nicu for 8 weeks and basically needed time to grow. He is a healthy little boy now. Well not so little he's almost 7.

momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 11:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm so sorry. I haven't had this condition but I had a high risk pregnancy and spent most of the time in the hospital from about 24 weeks. I went 36 weeks and my baby ended up having developmental delays, low IQ, problems with his teeth, and some other problems that may have been related to my pregnancy.

I took a birth defects course in grad school taught by a famous expert and I learned about low amniotic fluid. There are treatments. If it looks like your baby is in trouble they can add fluid by amniocentisis or give you IVs.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/lowamnioticfluidoligohydramnios.htm

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:30 AM on Aug. 19, 2010