I feel like my little man is eating to much !

Almost 9 weeks old and he eats between 4-6 onces every 3-4 hours is this normal???? He spits up alot too could this be because he is eating to much?

amylynn4919

Asked by amylynn4919 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine had 4 ounces every 4 hours.

Spitting up could mean reflux or overfeeding.

Does he ever turn his head? Is he ever fussy? He could also be mistaking gas or tummyache as hunger.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• TOO much? I don't think so. He is growing ...and if he spits up, it is probably not because he is eating too much. Burp him every two ounces in the middle of each feeding ...that will help a lot.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• lol..no, I don't think thats too much..thats right around normal.
    If he is spitting up excessively...talk to his ped about it..they may refer you to use a different type of formula. Or if your breastfeeding it could be something in your diet causing him to do that.
    Also, if the flow of the bottles nipple is too fast, he could be taking in too much at once and causing him to spit up.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you haven't been trained in bottle feeding safely, he is probably eating too much. Bottle-fed babies often get 80-100 times as many calories in a day as they need.

It is not safe to invert a bottle over a baby's face, because the only thing he can do about that is swallow or drown. The bottle should be held at a shallow angle so that in order to get food he has to draw it out, and can pause between swallows, breathe, check and see if he's still hungry for more, take more if he's hungry and turn his head away if he's not.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Burp him in the middle and it should help. I dont think he is getting to much thats what my 2nd son was eatting. If he is still having problems take him to his ped. Maybe its the milk upsetting his belly.
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Im thinking a reflux problem too
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• That far apart is not bad. Just be sure watch him and he will be fine. It is great you are worried because i know soooooo many mommies who over feed their babies and are not aware their baby is over weight.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2010