How Do I handle my only child starting school?!!?

I am a stay at home mom, i have been lucky enough to be the entire 5 years of my daughters life and she is starting kindergarten in 19 days. She is very excited and ready for it, I however am having a lot of anxiety about this whole process. If anyone has any advice that can help me not fall apart on the first day of school I would greatly appreciate it!!

Jamie_Lynn0106

Asked by Jamie_Lynn0106 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in

• find a hobby to take on .. or a work-at-home job .. something to keep you busy.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'll be honest, the first day is going ot be hard. Do you have other children at home? If so, make it a special day for them also. Do things with them that you wouldn't do with your DD, a mommy and them only day. If you don't have other children at home, maybe plan to run errands the first couple days of school. This way your not at home by yourself. Trust me, after a couple weeks, you'll start to enjoy the quiet you time :) I used that time ot get rid of things that I couldnt' while they were home. you know, clean out the toy room with out hearing "Don't throw that away, we'll find the other peice, tha'ts mine". Or just whining crying in general LOL.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 11:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I am in the same situation. My husband is taking her first day off to be with me. Can your husband do that for you too?
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Keep busy. I got involved volunteering at the school so I was there practically every day. It helped me and it helped my kids knowing that I was likely to be around at some point every day.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 12:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The first day was hard on me as well but you have to keep it together for your child so they don't fall to pieces. Once you get used to it you'll love the free time you have at home!. Try not to hang around the school all day and do someething to keep yourself busy. If you're anything like me you'll constantly watch the clock thinking "is it time yet" waiting to pick them up! Good luck momma and stay strong!!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• aww, it IS hard to watch your baby go off to school for the first time. Youre gonna cry, so bring a box of tissues, lol. It will get easier as the time passes on but honestly, that first day is the hardest. Try to remain positive,optimistic and upbeat for your little girls sake though...you don't want to worry her and you don't want her to worry about you while she should be enjoying her first day of school.
    Good Luck and hang in there ma.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Aawww! Best of luck. I'm a sahm and I'm already dreading the day my son starts school...and it's over 4 years away, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thank you all for the idea's and support! I've felt a little silly at times with how emotional i have been getting about it but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that has felt this way or the last to feel this way!!
    Jamie_Lynn0106

Comment by Jamie_Lynn0106 (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think I am going to try the day my daughters goes to her first day of school lol. I still have a couple years to go though she will be 2 in November.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 9:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• I dread that day too. I wil probably be a coward and let my husband do it. I don't want to ruin her excitement. Thank God I've still got four more years. On the bright side go have a Mom's day off, if you can. Something fun may take your mind off of it.
    MomaV

Answer by MomaV at 1:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010