What to do...What to do...

My dh's son was admitted to the hospital yesturday.He just moved about 4 hours away to start college last week. At the hospital he was diagnosed with diabetes and currently in I.C.U. His mother did drive down there yesturday so he's not alone. I think we should go too. But dh is worried about the car, the money it will take to get down there and what were going to do with all the other kids and what to do about work.We have a 15,14,10 and a 18 mnth old here.
Its not like its really in the budget to just pick up and go like that but I told him..if it were my son...I'd been there yesturday. I was trying to get him to go yesturday but he wanted to wait and see what was going on. Maybe he's taking a more reasonable approach to the situation.Its NOT life threatening.I just feel we should be there.
What would you do?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 11:35 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• IF my child was in ICU, I would be there no questions asked
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Maybe just DH could go and you and kids could stay home? I would keep encouraging DH to go!
    CoachyMom

Answer by CoachyMom at 11:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Um explain to him that you'll stay home with the kids. If he's in ICU, than it is serious, and at the very least your husband should be there! You can't wait for things to take a turn for the worst. And it's only 4 hours away!! He could take one day off and at least go visit his son. Not only that, his son will remember this forever.
    bianchi01

Answer by bianchi01 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would be there in a heartbeat if it were my child. I wouldn't even think twice.
    What if he just goes by himself and you stay home with the kids??
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Men can view things differently... but this might also be a way of not dealing with the situation. Is you husband one to ignore feelings or difficult situations? Life is too short and his son could really use his father's support in this- even if it is just a quick check on things to see for himself.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I've tried...to get him to go is hard..to get him to go without me is even harder. I've alrady started making phone calls to get someone to watch the kids,just in case he decides to go..I will have it all taken care of.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2010