How much do you spend on groceries?

I was just wondering what is the typical amount families usually spend on groceries for a family of 4 and a dog? It's so hard to stay within our old budget. If I do.....then somebody eats or drinks all of something and it's back out to the store again....thus blowing the budget.Any tips on saving money would be great ;)

christina259

Asked by christina259 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• for my family of 3, less than $200 a month
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I spend 100-150 a week for two. This includes cleaning supplies and dog/cat food too.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 11:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I spend about $70 a week; this includes toiletries, dog food, etc for my family of 4. (Two adults and Two children 8 and 9).
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you don't mind shopping at Walmart they have ad matching. I have been using that for almost 4 years and I save tons of money every month. We usually spend about $450 a month on a family of 4 with 2 cats. Also check the Sunday paper for coupons. I am always finding pretty good coupons. I also keep a lookout for things on sale and buy a large quantity so we don't run out too fast. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:43 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• my family of 4, at least 400/mo...unfortunetly....we live in a very high cost of living area (not by choice, thanks army!) we dont have the commisary anywhere near us either so we can't save money that way either. It is really frustrating. But we will be moving to a new duty station in 6 months and hopefully wont be having this problem.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• do you cut coupons? plan your menu around what's on sale? I use every last left over. Have a left overs day. With me I buy milk and that's the only drink I buy and I don't go to the grocery store except for once a week with my weeks groceries, because without fail if I go to buy milk I get some otherthings to "tide us over" until the next week and I end up spending $25. If we don't have any milk left then water will have to do. There are lots of websites out there that will tell you when things that you can get coupons for are on sale and telling you the best price. I find that with many of my sunday coupons if I wait until the next week they will go on sale, it's a marketing scheme because you get it with a coupon the first week you get it on sale the next week and by week 3 you're in love with it and willing to pay full price. Don't be afraid of off brand usually I can't tell the difference. If you search for money saving...
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I spend $150 a week for a family of 5 and a dog.

I learned to shop well when we were struggling much more... I started out with $25 a week! Best advice? Plan your meals carefully, make enough for lunches the next day if possible and reuse ingredients if possible, so buy the big pack that is on sale and include it in various meals that week. :-) Also- prepackaged snacks are a money pit. Buy pudding to make and put into smaller containers- or buy the big bag of chips and put them in baggies. Takes a few extra minutes, but saves money.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• $100 - $150 a week
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• grocery tips you can find some really good tips. Also there are a couple groups on here dedicated to saving money. I had to remind myself that eating expensivly doesn't always taste better. Black beans and rice is good. Baked potatoes with left overs as toppings is almost a weekly thing at our house. Sloppy Joes are cheap and easy. I like to find cheap meals that we like and use them. Also I find myself making casseroles out of left overs and it's quick and easy. just the other day I made a sloppy joe casserole. I had enough sloppy joe mix for maybe 2 sandwiches and added some sauted green pepper and onion a can of tomato soup, a can of cream of mushroom soup and some egg noodles covered in some cheese put in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. . It was great, cheap and really made my leftovers stretch. I just try to find little things like that. Also you might like to check out a book called Miserly Moms it's got good tips.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• $250-$350 a week (in Manhattan :( ) this is for the 6 of us, and I assume it will just go up as the kids get older!
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2010