How much computer time is too much?

Managing computer and video game time has been hard this summer. Especially when my son has no friends close by, and I do in home daycare. Therefore he is surrounded by infants and preschoolers all day long. I have added things like reading time, and time outdoors that is mandatory before he can play, but I am running out of ideas.

Commissioned77

Asked by Commissioned77 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When he is on...does he tune you out? Does he voluntarily go out or read without prompting? Does he do what he is supposed to or does he stay glued to the electronics?

If he is involved with other things, doesn't ignore you while on, goes and plays or reads without you making him...then I say he is fine. If he doesn't do all that. Cut it back a lot or altogether.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• No computer time until way older is my personal philosophy. I know people say they want their children to learn the technology. I get that. But older kids can pick it up and never miss a beat. I want my young child to play. Play with his toys, play outside, play with his dad...use his imagination with things that don't need to be plugged into the wall. There is a great book called UnPlugged about tons of activities to do for kids of all ages that involve no t.v. and no computers. You can get it on line or at most book sellers. For example: we set up a "tent" in the kitchen for him to "camp" in. This keeps him busy while I clean. A blanket is put over the table in the kitchen. He has a flashlight, sleeping bag, and other gear. Books are stacked high and he loves to look at them with his flash light. He brings in his stuffed animals and other toys to play with inside this "tent." This is an every once in

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Thanks. For the most part he does the reading, outside time (most of the time), and chores before he plays because those are the rules and he know he cannot play until they are done. As for tuning me out, I think it comes and goes. I have found that I make sure he is looking me in the eyes when I talk to him, to ensure he is listening. I also have him repeat back to me. He is involved in school activities, sports, and church, so activities are fine at other times, I am just really protective, since his father (my ex) is addicted to the computer...spending sometimes 10-12hours a night, as is his step mom. (Whom he has an affair with after meeting playing World of Warcraft) There are hard feelings there, and I do not want Caleb (My son) to be punished because of his fathers irresponsibility and addiction to gaming. I talk about often with Caleb that addiction to computer can be the same as drugs, and we have to be responsible!
    Commissioned77

Comment by Commissioned77 (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• a while activity. Too much and it gets old. So I change up the activities and make minor changes to our environment to keep him interested. The book helped a lot. Hundreds of ideas. I like the activities where I can do chores and he can play content. Being an only child is hard for him - I get he wants friends 24/7 in the house. He is learning he has to entertain himself. I just don't like the idea of t.v. or videos doing the entertaining. He doesn't have to think then.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i think id only let me 5 year old be on the computer for maybe 30 minuets a day, and give like 10 extra minuets for each age they become.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• During the school year he gets an hour a day. However, during the summer, since I have daycare kids here all day, he plays while everyone else is napping. He is only allowed to play after chores, reading, and having some outside/creative time. I want him to use his imagination and not just games or tv. He is smarter than that!

Commissioned77

Comment by Commissioned77 (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Good question. I have the same problem with my only child, minus the daycare. I can only play Legos with him so long. Good suggestions from everyone.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2010