why does my 23 month old cries alot?

My 23month old cries constantly almost all day long. He was born as a pre mie due to a car accident I had.

mommy132602

Asked by mommy132602 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does he talk at all? My 17 mo old is a bit delayed in her speach, and she cries A LOT during the day too. I think she just gets overwhelmed b/c she cant tell us what she wants etc. I dont really have any other ideas, but you are NOT a lone...my dd has been consistantly crying for most of the day since she was about 2 months old. I am about to lose my mind.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I doubt that his crying is because of being a preemie, unless he's been known to cry since birth. Is is a new thing? I would imagine it might be an illness coming on, new back teeth breaking in or a growth spurt. I know my kids all go a tad crazy when they are about to start growing... hormones and chemical levels get out of whack and they just cannot deal with it. :-) Good luck, mama!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I have a grandson the same age. His birthday is 9/11. My grandson get fussy a lot and has problems sleeping because he has eczema head to two. I take care of him every other day. My DIL works and my son is a student. The 3 of us take turns taking care of us. We all agree if any one of us had to take care of him all the time we would have gone crazy. He is still nursing and that helps so much at night. 

I've taken child development and psychology courses. Part of it is frustration with not being able to communicate well. If he is crying all the time it would be good to have him evaluated for sensory issues. He may have tactile (touch) issues. That can be treated with occupational therapy.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You might try massage, yoga, teaching him deep breathing and relaxation. What works for my grandson is music. They lived with me when he was a baby and the only way my son could get him to nap was to swaddle him and hold him while he screamed for an hour and then fell asleep. I couldn't do it and hated hearing it. I started playing James Blunt music videos on the computer and held him where he could feel the music from the desk. It worked and it would put him to sleep.

Now he likes lots of music and it will still put him to sleep or calm him when he is falling apart. He likes Jack Johnson, Train, Colbie Callait, Owl City, lots of 70's music, Santana, and others. He can use the mouse and pick songs from his play list.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Have you taken him to get checked out for that?
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Is he talking yet? If not, he may be crying because that's only way he knows how to communicate. My son was delayed in his speech and until he was able to communicate he cried ALOT.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Has it been happening for a long time? Maybe he's not feeling well.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010