• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone agree?

In regards to all those against the Mosque three blocks from Ground Zero:You are acting no different than the terrorist. Muslim religion didn't kill that day. Extremist idiots did. By condemning ALL Muslims that worship, you are acting no different than someone that condemns ALL Baptists because of Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist church. Yes, I agree it shouldn't be built on the actual site. However, it is being built 3 blocks away in an old Burlington Coat Factory building. That makes the difference. Also, there already was a Mosque near there that went down. I can understand how it may feel as a slap to the victims face, but, I also hear how people don't want a Mosque in any city. We can't be like that, then expect them to get along with us.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I competely agree!!! Should we say christians shouldn't be allowed to build a church near abortion clinics because a few extremists have killed abortion doctors???? Saying we shouldn't allow a Mosque to be built, is going against what America stands for!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with the spirit of what you said. As long as we have the words "them" and "us" in our vocabulary we are going to have issues. I look forward to the day that we are all just people.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 12:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with you, too. I understand people's concern but at the same time what sets this country apart from a lot of others is that the rules of fairness and equality apply to everyone, not just when it is convenient. And I think it would serve our entire country very well to remember the difference between the majority of Muslims who are peaceful, religious, contributing members of society, and the minority who are religious extremists bent on doing us harm. I know where the fear comes from but people have to rise above it. We are better than that in this country.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree 100%
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree as well :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree. When I first read a post about it, I thought the mosque was being planned for the actual site of ground zero. Not blocks away. So I didn't think any building of a specific religion should be built there. I didn't think any building should be built there at all. But this is blocks away, near where there already was a mosque, right? IDK what the issue is, they just want to rebuild, right? Just not in the exact same spot? I'm not real clear on it, because no one is giving clear information all once. It's like tidbits hear and there, with emotions thrown in. How is anyone going to be able to give an honest opinion without knowing everything there is to know about it? Or is it just me that isn't clear?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes I do agree with you.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• agree 100%
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with you.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• To me, it doesn't matter. Even if they were building this mosque/community center as a gesture of peace for what members of their religion did that day, the fact that it is causing pain today should make any caring and compassionate human being stop and say "Out of respect, we will not go ahead with this. We won't do it." I was willing to learn more from the muslim women here on cafemom. My mind was almost open. Almost convinced. But actions--or inactions--speak louder than words. What they are knowingly doing to the American people tells me that I was right in the first place. The Qu'ran and the bible both rant about death to infidels and non-Jews. The difference is that christians don't believe EVERY word of the bible. But the muslims BELIEVE what they say they believe. All of it. They are the minority here. Will they really SHOW their true nature now? We'll see.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010