For experienced moms: Potty Training Question

How long did it take from the time you moved your daughter to "big girl" panties until she stayed dry and used the potty all day? I introduced my daughter to the potty chair at 18 months and she did really well with it at first (for the first 2 months) We made a "potty chart" and awarded her with stickers, which she absolutely loved...for a few months at least. Then she got strep throat and stopped wanting to use the potty while she was sick and never started wanting to again after she got better. She is now almost 2 and a half and has started being interested in training again, but this time I put her in regular panties and some plastic cover panties...so when she does pee her pants she really notices and has to get changed right away. This seems to be working really well. I was jw how long it usually takes for them to stay dry all day with no accidents. Also, what did you use for night time? Diapers, pull-ups, or nothing?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 12:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was around the same age as yours now and we did the same thing you are... Now she's 6 and she's never wet the bed. I put diapers on her at night until I just realized it wasn't a problem. She stayed dry all night and woke up and went in the morning. There will be random accidents for a while- but they get far more frequent. I noticed they would come back around a big growth spurt or when something big happened, (traveling, lots of guests).

Now my son didn't potty train until he was 3. He just did it one day and went on from there... however, he still randomly wets the bed or won't stop playing so he'll have more accidents. He stopped wearing diapers after he stayed dry most nights- but we bought a protective sheet for his bed, which is great.

Finally- my youngest will be 3 in October and REFUSES to try. I have a feeling that he's going to be the end of me on this battle.

Keep an eye on her and follow her lead!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My son was 2.5 and he was done in 4 days. Straight to underwear, no pull-ups, no diapers. Not even at night. By 4 days, he was completely trained. He was ready and he showed all the readiness signs. It was actually pretty easy, I just took him and had him try every 15 minutes. When that was routine, I upped it to 30 and so on. No stickers or charts. His reward was "big boy underwear". LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We still have accidents occasionally but she has been in undies since 23 months and she is now 3.5yrs. Most of the accidents are when she gets involved in something and forgets to pay attention to her body. I still remind her on a daily basis to go potty. She will start doing the potty dance but not want to stop what she is doing so i have to order her to go. She wore pullups at night until she had been dry for 2 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• once we started training it was panties alone she wouldnt let me put on plastic covers and i never used pull ups or anything other than panties even at nite time. i just got her one of those plastic mattress covers in case she ever did pee the bed. but i also stopped all drinks an hour before bed and she went to the potty as we were heading to bed. then when i went to bed i would get her up and have her go potty and we did that for id say about a month or two then after that we had no problems.
    to me pull ups are just like a diaper and its kinda a step back and from what i have seen its true.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• When my kids were ready there was no "training". It was one day diapers the next day they were always going in the potty.

I was at Target with my oldest and he wanted a Big Wheel. I was buying diapers. I told him if I didn't have to buy diapers I would have money for a Big Wheel. He never went in a diaper again. We went back and got the Big Wheel. Obviously he was phyically ready but not motivated.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Each child is so different, & generally boys are harder to train than girls. At one point I thought my boys would start kindergarten in diapers! Nighttime accidents are to be expected, even if you cut off liquids early enough in the eve. And don't get me started w/ #2 training. All 3 of mine were terrible about that aspect of it. Just be patient, you are both doing fine.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I never had my kids in pull ups - both of them thought of pull ups no different than regular diapers. I didn't starting training each of my kids about 2 months before their 3rd birthdays ... they showed some interest prior to that time but they just weren't ready (most kids aren't). They were each trained in about a week and once they were trained, they were trained for good, day and night (though I did keep them in diapers at night for about a month but then stopped because they always woke up dry). Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• we waited for them to turn 3. Then I took the diapers away completely. Until they were completely trained was 3 days.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2010