How do I teach a 15 month old not to hit/bite/scream?

My second daughter has always had a more aggressive personality than my first. She has always gone headfirst into everything and is very independent. Recently she has started hitting her older sister (2 and a half) for seemingly no reason. She does it when she's upset, when she is excited, or just to get attention. In your opinion, what is the best way to let her know that there is a better way to express her frustration/excitement/want for attention? I have thought about getting her one of those punching bag things for children that pop back up after you knock them down, but will this help her let out aggression/energy or will it promote her hitting?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 12:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you encourage her just to hit something else it will confuse her and make her think its okay to hit. When she does these behaviors you need to step in immediately and tell her no we don't hit/bite and then show her something she CAN do say instead of hitting why don't you give your sister a hug!!! Really encourage the behavior and they will do that for your attention instead of the bad thing. I do that with my 16 month old and got her to stop the hitting in less then a month
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• For biting I bit back--worked like a charm. I haven't had to deal with hitting but my friend has and I haven't seen her use any methods that work. I would make sure that whatever you do to derail the hitting you make it consistent every time so that when you aren't at home you can still follow through with the consequence.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• when they bite, as mean as this sounds, bite them back (not hardly.) the doctor told me to do that with my son..... & it worked. that & makign them bite down on soap helped too
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We used time out and used it every time. That way she learns there are consquences to her actions.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We tap my daughter on the hand and give her a firm "NO" when she's doing something that's wrong. My daughter is 2 and she has always had a problem with hitting and screaming. We also do time-outs. We also spank when necessary, but I wouldn't recommend spanking her for the hitting. That would be like a contradiction in itself. Good luck!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I am glad my kids never had this problem
    mommaofemma

Answer by mommaofemma at 12:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yeah the biting is EASY take a tart nip on thier finger and they'll stop biting,the hiting you say NO!!!
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• And pretend scream and cry when they do it the children will look at you as if you lost your MARBLES!!!
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2010