What do you think of women who get married and never change their last name (or even hyphenate it)?

I got married a year ago and am yet to change my last name. I just dont feel like Im ready to do so, it feels weird to me to just drop my last name. Ive thought about hyphenating it, but was wondering, whats the big deal if I decide I dont want to do it? Do you think it would be wrong of me? Do you think my husband would be offended if I decided to keep my last name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't see why it would matter, a name doesn't change the relationship.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 12:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you don't do it, you'll be smarter than I was.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I kept my name because that is "my name." I didn't expect him to change his name when we married. Why would I want to change something I have had for 50+ years? It doesn't mean I am any less committed to my marriage then anyone else. Why should women be expected to change their names, why not men? If it is something you want to do great but in this century it isn't something you have to do.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 2:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I personally wouldn't keep my last name & my SO have talked about it.--he wouldnt want to marry me if I didn't take his last name.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i kept my last name when i got married but i also took my dh last name as well!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 12:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I thought about hyphenating my last name, but technically it wasn't mine anyway. My mom gave me her old last name and not my fathers because she was mad at him when I was born. I told my husband about it and he said that he would actually have been a little upset if I hadn't taken on his name at all. Wouldn't have been a deal breaker though he would have been willing to add mine on to his as well.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We've been married for years and I have no plans of changing mine. Dh didn't really mind, we had talked about hyphenating but I don't want to deal with a long legal last name every time I have to sign something. I've never had anyone make a big deal of it.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• We each kept our names and hyphenated DD's. While somewhat modern here, it's actually the tradition in Spanish-speaking countries (not that that's our background!)
    466mom

Answer by 466mom at 12:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I was proud to take my Husbands last name.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• When I got married, I dropped my middle name and my maiden name took the place of my middle name and I took my husband's last name. I honestly don't see the point in marrying someone if you're not going to take their last name, but it's your choice. I guess it all depends on how you and your husband feel about not changing it.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010