How long are you supposed to keep mascara until you throw away?

While we're at it, when should you throw away other makeup such as lipstick, eyeshadows, and blush, too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• I think its three months, but who really can afford to buy new mascara that often. I use mine til its gone, I have had mine for a year now and still use it.

I think if its been sitting there for months, just throw it out. but i use mine a couple times a week.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 3:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i've heard 6 months. but like the pp said, who really buys them that often, unless you go through it quickly? mines got to be atleast a year old, and i never wear it
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 3:47 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• depends on how often you use it. if you use it often you need to replace it every other month for two reasons. 1. air is introduced to the mascara every time you open it which will dry it out and cause it to flake, look clumpy, etc. and 2. bacteria. the eye is extremely sensitive and getting a bacterial infection in the eye will be miserable.
    ibyanga

Answer by ibyanga at 7:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2008