Do you think I my doctor would induce me?

I am terrified of going into labor and being home alone. I have a 2yr old and a 1yr old, my df works 30 mins away and has no vehicle. The soonest I would be able to get to the hospital is 1 1/2 hours maybe, relying on my mil is very hard. With my 2nd I got to the hospital 2 hrs before I gave birth and I am terrified that I am going to have my son at home, all alone, with my two small children here. I have no other family in the area to help me get to the hospital sooner. Do you think my doctor would induce me at 38 weeks. I also have had my other 2 at least 1 week early, naturally. I've never been induced before. I am going to call my doctor to see but I'm not sure what he'll say!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 12:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Being induced is horrible. I was induced because my doctor was moving away a week later and I would have had no doctor. I would have much rather went into labor naturally. (I was in labor 5 hours, pushed for 3 hours and ended up having to have a c-section)
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Maybe at 39.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Depends on your doctor. Some will and most will say they won't induce unless there is a medical reason, not one of convenience. Never hurts to ask though.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 12:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I know I'll get bashed for this but there's nothing wrong with having your baby at home.

You can also call an ambulance when you go into labor, that will get you there quick.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I live in the middle of nowhere and an hour away from the hospital. I was scared too. My midwife actually recommended that we induce, but she is also a good friend of mine. I don't know how common it is to induce without a medical reason. I wound up going into labor on my own, before they could induce me, but atleast I was already at the hospital!
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• They may do it at 39 weeks..don't think they'd do it at 38 but it never hurts to ask.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I was an hour and a half from my hospital. I was driven there. And had plenty of time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I didn't want to be induced either - but I was a week late and at the age of 38 and with my first child, they were worried about the amniotic fluid levels - so I had the induction, well it didn't work as well as they hoped, I only dilated to 5 cm, and the baby's head was never engaged, so the pitocin started to effect his heart rate and then I had to have the c-section as well. I never had "labor" and never pushed.... I just think you need to think about the effects of induction as well. I had a hard time after the surgery with the baby - I was lucky my husband was able to get family medical leave and be home with me since we live in a three level townhouse and I couldn't stay on one level. I also had no other family near by. Just think about all your options....
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Induction is hard on your body... and labor takes a long time. I think that you are over-worrying this situation... hormones and the stress of being a mom already is getting the best of you. Please, let that baby go until it is ready to come out on its own. If, in an emergency, something comes up- you can use the ambulance. They will take you and take care of your kids until someone gets there. That is their job. You need to relax and rest... :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• @amw529: Did you get an epidural when they gave you pitocin? The mix or those two cancel each other out causing them to keep upping each one until the babies heartrate drops. And instead of turning the medicine down and fixing the problem. They call it an emergency and rush you into surgery. And I bet they didn't let you walk around and kept you on your back....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010