Do you think that telling your kids that Santa is real is lying to them?

What's your opinion about this?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 12:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well, technically, it is lying. However, no one has ever been in therapy after finding out their parents lied about Santa, so, I continue the tradition.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yeah, it's lying. You'd have to have a pretty loose definition of "lying" to claim it's not. You know, you can get around that whole thing by saying, "people say that on Christmas Eve..." then you're not lying, you telling what the Santa story is.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It is what it is. Yes you are lying to them! but kids dont seem to mind the idea of him when they are younger, they do get devistated when they find out though.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Santa's not real?
    Oh no.

Just playin. My kids figured it out waaaay to early. They brought their presents to me and said mom santa writes like you. You are santa. These ppl were preschoolers. They are too smart.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes, that's exactly what it is. I thought about this for a while and even though my son is just getting to the age of being able to comprehend "Santa" I've decided I'd like for him to enjoy that childhood magic, or whatever you wanna call it. I was "lied" to about Santa and am not scarred from it, nor is anyone I know.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I think its an adorable IDEA and will give my son santa til he figures it out on his own
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well..my son felt that it was lying to him.
    When he was 9, he went through this questioning thing about God...and how he thought it was all make believe but he said he DID believe in Santa Clause. Not wanting him to continue being confused, I told him the truth.
    He was VERY upset.He yelled at me and accused me of lying to him since he was little.
    I tried to explain to him it was in the spirit of Christmas and it was for fun..but he was still very hurt by it.
    Now, I'm very unsure as to how I will go about the whole Santa issue with our 18 month old as she gets older.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes, it's a lie. No, I do not believe in lying to children. I want my children to trust me, not feel betrayed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes i do think it's lying,and the whole "We believe in santa as a spirit" is a whole crock too. You're still lying. There is no Santa spirit.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2010