Is it normal for my shelter adopted puppy to tinkle when he is super excited??

We just adopted a puppy (a mutt) from the shelter yesterday. She thinks he is about 9 months old and not potty trained. A pure whim on my part taking in a dog that isn't potty trained but I figured I would give it a go. When I take him outside 9 times out of 10 he will go potty when I tell him to. I don't know if it is because he is picking up the other dogs scent and marking his territory of geninuely knows to. I give him lots of praise when he does. Yesterday he pooped in the house and when scolded seemed like he knew better and felt bad. This AM when I went outside to see him (he will eventually be mainly an inside dog) he dribbled a little pee. When I took him to the yard and told him to pee he did. I took him in the house and when he saw the kids he left a little puddle on the floor. I think I vaguely remember our other dog doing this, tho that was 7 years ago! Is this normal for a puppy to pee when excited???

dragonflylovr19

Asked by dragonflylovr19 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Oh gosh its not just shelter dogs..its dogs in general. I have a beagle whose almost 2 and STILL does it lol.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 1:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It's normal for any puppy, not just shelter puppies...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Also props to you and ur family for adopting a shelter dog!! they are the best dogs and have the most love to give.
    SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 1:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My daughter had 2 cocker spaniels with that problem. It is called "Submissive Unrination" and as they grow up and become more confident they stop the peeing. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Its normal for all dogs.
    I had a dog from the time she was a puppy till she passed away at 9 years old..and still when she became excited, she'd piddle a little.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes, it's normal. Try to keep the excitement level down a little and he will be less likely to pee. Trying to correct him about this won't work.

Correcting a dog after they poop in the house doesn't  work. Dogs don't have that kind of memory. If you catch them in the act putting them outside might help. There is a book by the famous dolphin trainer Karen Pryor about clicker training and dogs that is great. She explains how the animal mind works.

http://www.amazon.com/Reaching-Animal-Mind-Clicker-Training/dp/B00381B7ZA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282237783&sr=1-1

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Alright! Thanks Ladies! And I didn't mean to make it sound like just because he was a shelter dog! I guess I was trying to tie it to the fact that she says he isn't potty trained and looking for reassurance there is no connection!! It is so frustrating adopting from a shelter when they have so little facts on the dogs! This is our third rescue :)
    dragonflylovr19

Comment by dragonflylovr19 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I had a lab that had that problem. But he was a very easily excited puppy. If we had company over that would give him any attention he would dribble on him. It was really embarassing lol
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• YAYAYAYAYAY for you adopting from a shelter! I'm a shelter worker, and there just aren't enough people adopting these days. All dogs do this at some point in their lives. Esp. my wieenie dogs... but as they got older the less they did it. My shelter dog, named Corney, has been the best girl. She is so loving. I opened my home up to her because she gets overlooked since she has an extra toe, which turned out to be a bad injury from birth, spliting one toe in half. Shelter dogs are so loving and thankful, and you will see this! Potty training seems to be going really good for your new dog. The little excited pee will settle down with age and feeling more secure in its new home.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 4:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yeah i think they all do it...lol
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010