Birthing Positions

Okay...I have 4 weeks left until my birth. I am going natural and I wanted to know if anyone has any tips on positions that ease the pain and which one worked best for you.

limegreen1223

Asked by limegreen1223 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• On my sides. Sitting up. Changing positions. I have had babies both ways with epidurals and natural and I have to say my naturals were more alert.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I sat on the yoga ball right up till i couldn't any longer. It just takes all the presure off your back and your hips and rocking was the ticket for me. Good luck to you momma all the pain you will feel will be so worth it in the end when you are holding your baby.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Avoid laying on your back. My favorite positions were on my hands and knees, laying on my side and sitting on the birthing ball, leaning on my hubby or the bed. I wish you the best of luck! Going all natural is an amazing feeling!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• hands and knees felt really good when I was laboring at home. Once I got to the hospital and was in the bed and I would have a contraction I would have to turn on my side and my husband would have to rub my lower back hard, that was the only comfortable position for me.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 1:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yep, hands and knees was what worked best for me

tip for pushing - use a towel and play tug of war with someone in front of you! After several hours of pushing with my first baby, the nurse had me do that it worked great
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• stay off your back as much as possible, it makes things feel sooo bad. I loved laboring in the shower with hot water pounding on my back. bouncing also feels good. I didn't have a birthing ball so I just bounced up and down on the balls of my feet and that helped a bit.
    norahsmommy

Answer by norahsmommy at 1:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• For my first birth I was at a birthing center and they had a nice birthing bed that had you in a more upright position than hospital beds. My second birth I was squatting on the hosital bed holding the rails and my water broke and out came baby ridind the wave. I laid back and "caught" him myself. I had no interventions for those births - no ivs or monitors.

My third birth was high risk and induced. I was checked and told it would be hours more so I had them help me get on my left side. In just a few minutes on my side I felt like pushing. A friend was with me and I asked her to look and my baby's head was crowing. The nurse started getting everything ready and eveyone was screaming for doctors. When my doctor got there I rolled from my side to my back and out came my son in her hands.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Stay free and open-- permit yourself to do as you please, whatever you want, however you want. Anything you desire in The Moment.

This is easier to achieve at home, so stay there as long as possible.
    When you're not at home, continue laboring this way.

In Nature, moms rarely (if ever ?) will lie on their back reclined. This position doesn't facilitate delivery. Our bodies are literally designed to work with gravity.
    Stay upright, moving, rocking, swaying, squatting~ whatever, as you prefer.

Good luck!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• in the jacuzzi was nice. :)
    with my second i was stuck in bed on monitors and that was horrible. it wasn't a normal birth though because he was 7 weeks early.

i agree with doulala, just be sure you will be able to get in whatever position feels good at the moment. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Hands and knees position or the squatting position seem to open up the pelvis the most and make for easier, more gentile births but there are many great positions.

As for laboring positions...rocking on the hands and knees, using the birthing ball, standing while swaying back and forth in ther shower...are all good positions that facilitate the baby moving down with each contraction.

Avoid laying on your back and doing the whole knees up in the stirups thing....this is actually the worst postion you can be in and literally makes the pelvis smaller. Doctor's do this purely out of convienace. It is no way makes the deliver more safe and actually just tends to complicate things.

Many women have been rushed into unnecessary c-section because "there baby was too big" when in reality the pelvis had simply been made to small by the birthing position.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010