Sleeping....

Should we co-sleep, or crib sleep? I want to know the pros and cons of each....Please help...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well my big thing is my baby sleeps better with us and wakes up often in the crib. I also hear him better when he is next to me in my arms. Plus I'm a little scared of crib death (SIDS)...HE has started choking on his saliva because he has started drooling alot lately so it scares me and I want him right next to me so I can wake up if he starts doing it.

The only bad thing about co sleeping is if you toss and turn or your partner does...(I stay in one spot and also have a wedge that I lay him in right beside me sometimes) or if you can't get them out of you bed when they are way too old for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Been parenting for about 23 years. We have co-slept before that was a term. LOL. I strongly suggest you follow your heart and what is practical for you family. To us, sleep was priority, as was safety of baby. When baby is in our bed, no need for a device to alert us when something is wrong. I could never rest peacefully once I'd found my daughter Jess's body hanging from the crib, her head inside. Just couldn't handle that. They do eventually leave, and that is another question on how to do that. I love that we co-sleep. I wouldn't have it any other way. Especially for working parents, do not believe quality over quantity. So sleeping together COUNTS as time together. It is very loving to reach out and know that some one loves you is right there.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 7:24 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• We don't co-sleep. SIDS risk is much higher when children sleep in your bed, plus there's the risk of smothering your child by accident. The best option for a young baby is a crib in your room so that you are there if s/he needs you, but the risks of co-sleeping are absent. Make sure your crib is safe (the slats need to be pretty close together, but new cribs made today have to follow the safety guidelines.) If you want to read up on co-sleeping versus crib sleeping (by a proponent for crib sleeping) check out mainstreamparenting.wordpress.com and look for the "Infant Sleep" link on the left.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 8:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/books/0071381392.php?nid=169&isbn=0071381392
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp

Actually, co-sleeping reduces the risk of SIDS. The chance of SIDS is increased when the baby is left alone in the "family" bed to sleep. There are devices to use when co-sleeping to keep the baby safe from rolling over though. I co-slept with both my babies until they were about 3 months b/c I breastfed and needed sleep. It is great bonding too!! My DH loved too b/c it was a great excuse for him to take a nap or just go to bed.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Most experts will say that co-sleeping can be dangerous, because you can accidently roll onto your baby in the night. Additionally, there should be no blankets or sheets on the bed with a baby. Babies should learn to sleep on their own at a young age. There is a new product on the market called the magic sleepsuit that helps babies sleep better and longer on their backs in a crib, which is recommended by 1st candle/SIDS alliance and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
    Anonymous