How can I get my 2 year old daughter to stop twisting her hair out or into huge knots at night?

My 2-year-old daughter has twisted her hair (particularly on the right side of the back of her head) since as far back as I can remember. She does with when she is tired, like my older son did with thumb-sucking. She even does it in her sleep! I get her to sleep and lay her down , thinking success - she fell asleep without twisting her hair, only to wake up in the morning with the hugest knot I ever saw or clumps of her hair missing.
I have tried timeouts when I catch her doing it, smacking her fingers when I catch her twisting, and ignoring it all together. She has long, lovely, curly hair (except in that one spot) and cutting it shorter is not an option as I think I would have to shave her head for that to have any affect.
Anyone else have a problem like this? Any suggestions on how to get her to stop?

mjpX2

Asked by mjpX2 at 3:46 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had curly hair - my mom used to do a nighttime bath, condition my hair, rinse and braid it still slightly wet. It made it more manageable. This may work for taking away her target for twisting? Maybe keeping it braided for a while will help break her bad habit.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Thanks! That is a really good idea and I will try it. I have tried putting it in a pony tail, but she really never likes that and usually pulls sections out and twists them anyway, but maybe a french braid or something like that would deter her twisting better.
    mjpX2

Answer by mjpX2 at 4:36 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Both of my girls have curly hair, too.. I have always piggy tailed it or braided so it can be manageable in the morning
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:44 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I know how silly this sounds but maybe like a doo rag if she would keep it on might work? good luck
    Mrs.Bauer

Answer by Mrs.Bauer at 12:23 AM on Oct. 10, 2008