Did you ever bring your child to a playdate or playgroup?

My child is 16 months and cries when other people come near her just to say hello. She's an only child so all she see majority of the time is me and her Dad. There's a playgroup here but I'm a very timid person myself so I can't see myself going to one, but I will if will be beneficial for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is an only child too. Its mostly me and my hubby who are around her... BUT we go to playdates or "hang out" with the neighbors kids.

Your child is just not used to other people i think. The first few times your daughter will probably cry and such, but after a while she will see that its so much fun to play with others.

Our daughter loves to play with other kids. I think every child needs some kids around to play with.

And you will love it too. Go for it. Its lots of fun :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My kids loved play group and it was a way for me to meet other moms. At first they were a little shy, but they all got over that.

I loved being able to go and talk to other moms about what was happening with my children and learning that I was not a lone in a lot of things.

I agree I think you and your daughter will love it. I would go and check it out.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• We live in a small town, and there are no playgroups here, and I don't know anyone with kids the same age as mine. I have 3 kids and my oldest was an only child till she was 2 1/2. Then she started pre-school at 3. So if you don't want to go to a playgroup, then don't. Don't make people feel like you should be doing something that you don't feel cofortable doing, your daugter will actually pick up on it and not have a good time to!
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• It will definitely benefit your child to be in a playgroup. My daughter is 2-1/2 and I'm a SAHM. So, obviously, the majority of people she sees is just myself and my husband. However, she doesn't have a shy bone in her body when it comes to other people and I truly believe that's because I have her involved in playgroups and tumbling and such like that. Definitely do it...your daughter will probably scream and cry the first few times, but eventually, she'll enjoy it and enjoy being with the other kids.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:43 AM on Oct. 8, 2008