michigan mommas

husband's job my be relocating us to michigan...i was just wondering if it is a good place to raise a family or not so much?? and i would love to know what there is to do there i have been looking up things on the internet and getting mixed answers...and my mom is worried she thinks it is very dangerous and is worried for mine and my daughters safety....any and all info is much appreciated...o also we are thinking about the holly area and surrounding areas.....thanks ladies

skyes_mom07

Asked by skyes_mom07 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Travel

• I'm in Algonac, on the St Clair River ... very nice quiet town. I really like it here. Really terrific people, great neighborhood feeling.

Things to do? The list is endless! Beaches, state parks, skiing, sledding, ice skating, hiking trails, wonderful opportunities for great photography and much more!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i have never been to holly. sorry :(
    but, i haven't heard anything bad about it either!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I'm in the UP, wonderful wilderness up here. Great place to be but over an hour trip just to get groceries!

Haven't been to the Holly area in about 3 years, but it was very nice. It's a little village in Oakland County, surrounded by small inland lakes. Not far from shopping or other entertainment. Really busy highways down there in the thumb area, but not terribly congested at most times of the day unless you're taking a drive right in Detroit!
    jinxandjoy

Answer by jinxandjoy at 1:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Western Michigan here - up near Traverse City. I've been to Holly a few times, it's a nice area.

Mt Holly is a small ski resort, good for beginners. Holly hosts a large Renaissance Festival every year - not my thing, but I have friends who enjoy going.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 1:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I grew up in Clarkston, about 10 miles south of Holly, and currently live about 10 miles north of Holly

It is a nice little town, but due to the high unemployment in the area the schools are somewhat declining. However, there is no reason to fear for your safety there, it isn't like inner city Detroit!

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, I'm very familiar with all of the surrounding cities
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• so i think the company is in grand rapids, and i was also wondering what towns were about 20-30 min away...that are good areas...my daughter is three and just like every mom i want the best for her....i was also wondering why the housing is so cheap for nice new houses...i have seen some built in 2003 three bedrooms two baths for 84,000...do u know why it is so cheap?
    skyes_mom07

Comment by skyes_mom07 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yea, you are not living in grand rapids and living in holly... grand rapids is on the west side of the state, holly on the east.

are you thinking of grand blanc? That is where I live and is a few miles north of Holly
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• and houses here are so cheap because we were built on the auto industry.. when they tanked, so did the economy here...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i really dont know we are looking everywhere....ok that makes sense thanks so much for all your help :) i am so anxious and nervous about this
    skyes_mom07

Comment by skyes_mom07 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• if you find out for sure where the company is, it will help give you better info
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2010