How do you know if your child is gifted?

My son is 2 1/2 and he know colors, shapes, he can count to 10, he recognizes #s and he can recognize almost every letter of the alphabet

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• He is a little bit young for testing. Definitely get a handle on school options in your area. If you are in Chicago, feel free to send me a message and I will be happy to help you navigate the school system.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I found out that my kids were gifted when they were tested at school. They had superior cognitive thinking abilities, which has a great deal to do with logical processing, abstracting thought and problem solving.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• They say that if they develop sooner than the average, they're gifted. However, Einstein didn't know how to read until later, so who knows?
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 1:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I know becaue mine came out with a big red bow upon his head, LOL! J/K
    Ask his doctor that ou are curious to find out and would like to have him tested. He/She can refer you to that typoe of specialist.
    My son knew all that stuff at that age too...and honestly, the only thing he's gifted in is annoying the hell out of me these days< LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• All of our children are gifted in certain things, some more than others. But, that's about the extent of it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Why not settle for having a bright one!

Answer by older at 1:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• you're gunna have problems with the teachers, they hate it when the parents make the kids smarter than they are! lol
    sorry, i couldn't resist. i am not kidding, start looking at homeschooling. but you depending on where you live, you might have problems. when he gets into school keep a good watch on his homework and his teachers notes. if possiable drop in on the classes. but another thing is don't stop teaching! you might have one of the youngest people who goes into collage! try to get him into preschool, that helps cuz they test kids there. my middle kid had just turned four and two months into the school year passed the test to get into kindergarden.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• That is normal. My 2 1/2 year old was the kid who sounded like a 7 year old. But, she is totally normal. Very smart, but i would not say "gifted". When someone is gifted, they have an abnormally high ability to excel beyond the average person in some kind of subject. It might be math, music, art. Sometimes, parents don't know how gifted they're children are until they get older. When they're that young, you still don't know how their brain will develope. It still has a lot of growing to do.

Lots of parents love talking about their child being giften, when they are just very smart. But, there is a difference.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well, I knew when I saw him around other kids and he was way more advanced than all of them, like his thought patterns were in a whole different league. And then, his Preschool, Head Start, Kindergarten, First grade and every other teacher since then all told me he was gifted and kinda way out there in his thinking. He was put in the gifted program in 1st grade. He was the youngest person in there. They also tested his I.Q. in Kindergarten , plus did all sorts of other tests.

I will tell you...it hasn't helped him to be advanced. It may later on though. He is in the 9th grade and his English teacher said she thinks he may need the advanced class. And yet, he makes average grades. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Too young to tell. Trying to teach children things when they are too young can have negative long term consequences.

Very gifteed children will learn on their own.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010