A question to only those who Co-sleep.

1st of all if you don't have anything constructive to say, pls move on.

My question is do you have a set bedtime for you child? And if so, how do you get them to sleep w/o you? My child wakes up if I'm not in bed even though my dh is there. I can't always go to bed at the same time. I have to pick up toys and clean the kitchen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I co-slept with Ava...I simply nursed her then put her in her crib to sleep until I was ready for bed and then I moved her in bed with me.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:45 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I go through the same exact thing. And Im sorry to tell you I dont have an answer. Isnt crazy how they are so attached and intuned to us, that they sense our presence even when they are asleep. I think its beautiful! Well good luck and God Bless!
    Anangelsmommy7

Answer by Anangelsmommy7 at 5:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I co-sleep with our son, I am not happy about it, but is one thing that I need to work on. I can totally relate to you when you say that you have other things to do. My problem is that it takes me a long time till he falls asleep and often it delays the process of putting in bed my other two kids (older, but all under 5 yrs). Our family travels a lot, that's why this problem came up with each of our kids. There is hope though:) I know it seems hard and like it will never be solved.
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 5:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• One step that I would suggest in your case is to try not to take Ava in your bed, if she is in her crib. Put her in her crib and let her there. If she wakes up during the night, nurse her or hold her and once she falls asleep again, put her in her crib. So she can get used to the idea that she wakes up in the morning in her crib and not your bed. She will come to be used with that. Then you can move on with next step- putting her in her crib from the beginning. Expect her to resist and cry, but if you keep your ground in a week or two she will get used to that too; believe me it is not easy at all, but it is not impossible. I tried this with my son and I saw progress. then we had a crazy summer with travelings, so I have to deal with it again. What is important though is that you do not give up. blessings
    r_b

Answer by r_b at 5:21 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• we have a regular sleeptime routine, we start at the same time every night (7:30) and we end up laying down to go to sleep by about 8:15. I nurse him to sleep and then slip out for some mommy-daddy time. Generally it takes him about 25 minutes to fall asleep deeply enough for me to get away.

I can wholeheartely recommend the "No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers" by Elizabeth Pantley. it really helped me understand the importance of a bedtime routine as well as understand how a young child's sleep cycle is different from that of an adult. it is very co-sleeping friendly
    sunnykate

Answer by sunnykate at 10:08 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I am in the same boat. My daughter Ava still sleeps with us. We had her in her own bed just before I had the twins. Then once the twins were home she would wake up in the night when I was feeding them. That was not good. To nip that in the bud we put her back into our bed. She has been there ever since. We are actually going to get her a double bed for her room and redo her room so maybe she will sleep in there. At least one of us can sleep in there with her and have a comfortable sleep, believe it or not I would sleep in a single bed just about 8 months pregnant with twins with Ava right by my side. It was crazy I know but at least it was quiet in our house. Good luck and if you ever do find the best way please let me know! :)
    Katelyn1974

Answer by Katelyn1974 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2008