Stray dog keeps coming to my yard....

It is a huge German Shepard and he seems nice enough but I don't trust strange animals. He has been here every day for 4 days and has about a foot of a thick chain hanging from his neck. So he obviously broke free and ran away. None of my close by neighbors know anything abut him. I keep rushing my kids into the house just to be safe but it is getting really old. I like to spend time outside playing with the kids. I am unsure what to do. Should I call the cops? Or the animal shelter?

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 1:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Call that police. They will get ahold of animal control.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• yep, what person 1 said
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Call the animal shelter, but I would tie it up. Most animal shelters HATE hunting for animals, so I would recommend keeping it somewhere until they show up.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 1:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Same thing happened here. I called the police department, they contacted animal control and had them come right out.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Look up the animal shelter online and it should tell you what to do. Good luck. Our shelter is so busy they tell you they will come out in 2 days! How are they going to find the dog then? There have been 3 dogs running around our neighborhood since 4th of July and no one can catch them. They were beautiful 2 lab mixes and a golden retriever, now they are thin and dirty. People are putting out food. It's Tudson and 100+ degrees every day.  I've seen them about 5 miles away. They have always been together. Yesterday I saw just one. Don't know if the other were just out of sight.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Well call both the police and the animal shelter be safe not sorry. take care
    mom1T2Ldh

Answer by mom1T2Ldh at 1:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If you can safely catch it and take it to a vet, they can check it for a microchip. If not, I would call either animal control or the police.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Check Petfinder and Craigslist to see if there are any "lost" ads. If he was tied up and in seemingly good condition, chances are somebody's looking for him.
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 4:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i agree call both just to be safe
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You can call your local animal shelter. I would lock him in my garage and then call them to come and pick him up.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010