My almost 4 year old WONT potty train.

Any Ideas please! He is somewhat behind in development and goes to a preschool that works with him. But with the school trying for a year along with my husband and I we cant get him to go potty in the bathroom. He is 4 in 13 days and we are to the point where we want to just give up. His 16 month old brother is more into trying then he is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is it a battle of the wills? Have you tried going back to diapers (not pull ups!) full time? Don't make any issue out of using the diapers. Change him when it's convenient for you, don't rush to change him right away if he asks. Is it possible that he knows how much it gets to you? I'm sure if my daughter knew I wanted her to use the potty, she'd be in diapers at 8! She's that stubborn!!!
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 11:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Have you talked with your pediatrician about it? With some developmental delays it may be normal for him to be taking longer.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 2:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• is he wearing undies, or pull ups? what does he do when he wets/poops himself? my son is 3 and we are having troubles but he really hates the feeling of peeing/pooping in his undies so i'm really hoping that eventually that will get him to go on the potty every time. GL
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My DS just turned 4 y/o and is behind on development as well. I spent awhile potty training him. I used the timer-system with him. Where you set a timer and when it goes off they go sit on the potty. You can adjust the time as he becomes more aware (goes before timer goes off on his own). I also let DS wear big boy panties. In my opinion pull-ups are really no different than diapers. Sure they go on like big boy pants, but they feel like diapers. The thing that really got my DS interested is when he figured out he could stand like daddy to use the bathroom. That was our biggest break through. I was in the same boat as you just a week ago, before DS turned 4 y/o. I was still taking him to the bathroom, then right after he turned 4 y/o he just goes on his own. Still not ready to do nights yet, I'll see how day-time goes a littler longer. Hope some of this will help you out :)

Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 4:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2010