Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

three weeks with nickel stuck in stomach?

Hi friends.
Well as it seems, Coen had swallowed a nickel almost three weeks ago.
He has been to the doctor 3 times and has had two xrays showing that its sitting in the exact same spot in his stomach. He is playing eating drinking, sleeping and pooping ok. The fam dr wants to wait another month to see what happens..... Should I really wait that long? Help!!

Answer Question
 
Coensmom

Asked by Coensmom at 1:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 4 (32 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Yikes..thats a long time for it to be in there..but if your dr says its ok then well hes the dr right? If you are worried just get a second op..Wow 3wks so far..hes a tough lil guy! Hope he passes it soon!
    jorjiegirl

    Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • sounds like you and doc have a close eye on
    and child seems to be acting normally
    wait and see
    LOTS of kids swallow coins, i did when little, parents never even took me in, maybe it is still in me-lol
    fiatpax

    Answer by fiatpax at 1:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • I think waiting is a good idea.

    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 1:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • wow when my daughter was 4 she swallowed a nickle it was stuck somewhere in her throat they waited a few hours and finally went in with a scope to get it. Personally I would get a second opinion on what you should do. It sounds like he dosent seem worried since your son is fine but you never know.
    okmommy08

    Answer by okmommy08 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • when I was little I ate a diamond pendant off of a necklice, it took two months to come out
    leksismommy

    Answer by leksismommy at 1:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • Thanks guys. I will take him to his Paediatrician as well to see what she says :)
    Coensmom

    Comment by Coensmom (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • At one point i managed to swallow an open safety pin. I never saw a doc, and have no idea if it ever actually came out. *shrug*

    Good luck.
    coder_chick

    Answer by coder_chick at 3:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • As long as the x-rays are showing the nickel to be in the stomach and everything else seems fine otherwise, I think I'd wait. I think your
    doctor is probably trying to hold off, not doing too many x-rays all in a short amount of time. Good luck!
    KenzieRoosMom

    Answer by KenzieRoosMom at 7:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

  • Well going into the 4th week now... He seems to be fine still. I'm not as nervous anymore..... but these poop checks are driving me insane lol.
    Coensmom

    Comment by Coensmom (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2010

  • I can't beleive I finally found where this is happening to someone else!!! My son swallowed a nickel and penny Sunday, 12 August. It got stuck in his esophagus first and he was rushed to a children's hospital....a couple of hours later it dislodged on its own. They sent us home to check diapers. 3 days later, nothing.....went to peds doc, got an xray the following day and the coins are stuck together in his stomach. Been on diaper duty since. Next xray is this Wed. Have no idea what will happen or what we should do. He is fine otherwise. no pain, same temperment, etc. How long are they going to make you wait?......what side effects have you learned about from your
    doc? Look forward to hearing fro you!
    44mama

    Answer by 44mama at 2:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN