Too old for a hair bow?

So, I have three daughters and I used to dress them all alike. From head to toe. Well, my oldest, who is nine (will be ten in November) had started letting it be known that she didn't want to wear 'Gymboree' anymore. I am not an evil mother, so I stopped buying it for her altogether. Thing is, now all she wears are shorts and an Aeropostale, Hollister, or Abercromie shirt. I think that it makes her look older, like teenager older. she has straight dark brown hair that she leaves down, parted to the side. Again, making her look older. Would it be crossing a line to ask her to wear a hairbow, just to bring her back down to a 'child'? Are hairbows too young for a 9, almost 10 year old? I need some help, please!!!!

IWantLotsOfKids

Asked by IWantLotsOfKids at 1:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• why not just buy her less "mature" looking clothes?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Wow, don't knock her back and baby her. Let it go. She is growing up. As long as she not trying to act and do teen things yet, I would be ok with it.

My son told me at age three that he couldn't wear overalls because he looked "durky". LOL He never wore them again. He refused to wear anything but tighty whities in Kindergarten because the others are to babyish.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes too old for a bow

Answer by older at 2:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I would say too old for a hairbow, but too young for the clothes she's wearing!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Personally, I think anything past 3 or 4 is to old for a hair bow...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I agree with Peanutsmommy1 today's style is about what is in if you allow it the kids will follow their peers. I might buy 1 item that is name brand but for my kids I shop at Khols Target Walmart anywhere you can get a deal kids grow up to fast wait till she is a teenager then shop name brand IMO... Now back to the hair bow if she hasn't worn one in a while I doubt she will want to unless you talk her into it to do it for you one last time and take a picture then she can go back to her style (sniff...sniff) GL on that one.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• If she likes bows in her hair, then that would be fine but if she doesnt..I wouldnt make her wear them.
    Its good to let her pick her own style, at least have a say so in it. At 9, I started lettign my son choose his own clothes to wear to school instead of me laying them out for him. I didnt like it all the time..but I chose to pick my battles when it came to that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• So, she is too young for shorts and a t-shirt? How?

And I forgot to add, she is too old for a hairbow and Gymboree cutesy clothes. Try going to Justice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes, far too old for a hair bow... though I fail to see how wearing name brand clothing and jeans/shorts makes her appear more mature. As for the Gymboree... I wouldn't force a child over the age of 3 to wear those cutesy little things.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Okay, so what you all are saying is that No, I shouldn't put a hairbow in her hair? lmao, ppl, calm down, it was just a question!
    IWantLotsOfKids

Comment by IWantLotsOfKids (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2010