Am I being selfish???

I have a due date in October and I have set a resonable financial goal for us to achieve by then. My hubby and I work for the same company and we are oftentimes offered to work weekends. Saturday is time and a half and Sunday is double time. I always work the weekend when asked (unless I've already worked 2 in a row) but my hubby on the otherhand has a tendicy of saying no. We discussed our financial goal and both agreed that when asked (up until the baby is born) we will say yes each time. Well, next Saturday his friends are having a birthday party for their daughter who is turning 1. It will be his weekend to work and he said he's not gonna work. I'm a little frustrated because were $1200 away from our goal and baby is due in October. He is passing up $350 to go to a birthday party! Do I have a right to be upset or am I just being selfish?

JenniFerKroeum

Asked by JenniFerKroeum at 2:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Eh, tough call. I'd be upset...but I think I'd get over it pretty quick. He's choosing friends over working..something that is obviously importatn to him as well as his friend. Just remember..you'll want him to choose your babies birthday over working, wouldn tyou? Maybe that just shows what kind of person he is. Money isn't everything.
    Goals are good to have too...
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• well if you both made the goal and he agreed to it Im not sure why he isnt following through. I think I would be upset.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't think he is wrong, he wants to celebrate an important life milestone with his friends.... when you are a mom you will understand how important it is to have friends and family there for your childs birthday
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• no especialy if you made an agreement. there is a set goal. actually i think he is the one being selfish
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 2:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• you still have a month and a half to go. enjoy your time with him, and don't stress that's not good for anyone.
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I dont think he is wrong, he wants to be there to celbrate his friends babys 1st birthday! 1st birthday are a very big even for some of us, he can work another weekedn but a child only turns 1 once.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 2:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• For a first birthday I would go, too. You still have time to make your goal, I think you guys should help your friend cele brate the birthday.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I understand both sides .... is there anyway he can go to work and then the party or go to the party then work? If not I would say that he shouldn't go to the party. If he really wanted to go he would have been working weekends all along to make up for this weekend.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with him saying no, as long as he's saying it to go to the party. Yet then I would expect him to let them know that if needed that he'll work the weekend after it.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Kinda like make it up on another weekend so yall will stay on track with the saving.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010