Chores for a 7 year old?

I am beginning to impliment a new discipline in my house. When my 7 year old son breaks the rules, he draws a piece of paper out of a jar with a chore on it. I am having trouble coming up with things to put on the paper. I would like a wide variety of things, and things that he finds difficult. I want him to dislike it, but be able to do it....any ideas? What do you make your children do around the house?

momof3josephs

Asked by momof3josephs at 2:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Doing the laundry, he can learn that pretty quickly.
    Gather all the trash in the house and take it out.
    Load/unload the dishwasher, if you have one.
    He can dust.
    He can wash the windows.
    Vacuum.
    Clean up his room.
    Weed the garden.
    Wash down the driveway, garage floor, back patio.
    Water plants
    Take him to the car wash place and make him clean out the car and vacuum it.
    Clean the bathroom.
    Wipe down the kitchen.

Umm .. That's all I can think of. He can pretty much do any chore at his age.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• 7 year old can do alot actually. Some ideas are clean his room, Sweep floors, scrub walls, pick up clothes off the floors, Clean windows at 7 it may not be perfectly done but he can do them.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I don't think it's a good idea. When a child misbehaves there should be natural or logical consequences. A natural consequence is something that happens all on it's own and isn't controlled by anyone. You tell a child to stop jumpin on the couch because they can hurt themself. They jump on the couch, fall off and hurt themself. That's a logical consequence. Sometimes it's good to let the logical consequence happen. Of course you don't want the ER or CPS to be involved.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• A logical consequence is something imposed that makes sense. This is one everyone in our family remembers. My 16 year old son wanted to drive our family station wagon to a scout camp for a weekend campout. It was spring and I knew the camp was muddy. I told him to leave the car in the parking lot. He drove the car around the camp, hit two trees, and spelled fuel in the car.

He never drove to a campout again in a vehicle I owned. Logical consequence. He had to clean the car. It was an old car that didn't make sense to fix. The door where the car seat went wouldn't open and that was a major inconvience for me. He is 30 and I don't think I would let him drive my car to a campout. He says he would have rather been grounded or hit or had to pay.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I will give discipline for more serious things than jumping on the couch...he is actually a really good kid and will stop if told to stop something like that. He has been mistreating his little brother (3), being loud during nap times, and repeating certain behaviors even though he has been corrected over and over again. I WILL NOT let the natural consequence be his learning experience with certain things, because others suffer the consequence, not him. The little kids are woken up, the little one is hurt, etc...We have rules in our home, and they are inforced. We used to use time-outs, grounding, or spankings, but I think this will work better for him...
    momof3josephs

Comment by momof3josephs (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Here is a chart that shows the differences between logical consequences and punishment

http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/studentsupport/psychologicalservices/pdf/Natural_LogicalConsequences.pdf

A logical consequence of not putting his bicycle would be that you put it away where he couldn't use it for a set amount of time. He didn't put his toys away. You bag them up and put them in garage for a week. He gets a bad grade he has to do homework right after school instead of playing. He is behaving badly with kids outside he has to come inside (no lectures).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• You need to make sure you are correcting over and over. Only say things once. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Act swiftly. No counting to 3. If he is being loud during naps he needs to have activities to do that keep him quiet. This may be something that is more your responsibilty than his fault.

Having him do chores (punishment) isn't going to teach him to treat his brother better. You need to teach him. It may take a period of time of close supervision.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Gailll, perhaps you are answering someone else's question. I didn't ask you to give me your form of discipline. I know what works for me and my children. My children are already really well behaved, I was simply looking for ideas for chores. You have no idea what goes on in my house, let alone what could possibly be my responsibility in this situation. I am not the type to say things and not back them up, or punish my child for something that is not his fault. Thank you for your input, but I was not asking for parental advice, just opinions on what you think a 7 year old would be able to do as a chore.
    momof3josephs

Comment by momof3josephs (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2010