To much weight loss to breastfeed.

I never gainned weight when I was pregnant instead I lost 12lbs. I lost 12 more pounds the week after having the baby and my doctor told me if I lose much more I cant breastfeed. Why cant I breastfeed if I lose to much? What can I do to not have to stop? I eat about 2000 calories a day should I eat more?

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 2:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can breastfeed. There is no rule that if you loose weight you can't breastfeed. I had trouble keeping weight on while breastfeeding and often weighed less than 100. Thin women all over the world breastfeed. If you are eating 2000 calories a day you are getting enough for you and your baby. Call LLL or a lc to confirm.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• 1. Your body will not steal nutrients from your breast milk. Your body will steal nutrients from you before taking it from your breast milk. Nature is pretty amazing that way. 2, Yes increase your calories. If you're losing weight by eating 2000 calories a day, try increasing by about 500 until you stop losing. Make sure its healthy and nutrient dense. Avocados, olive oils, full fat milk, nuts, starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn, peanut butter, almond butter (my favorite, YUM!) Good luck!!!!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The only way the composition of your breastmilk changes is in cases of severe malnutrition or dehydration. You aren't malnourished. The concern is for you. Breastfeeding, it is said, burns 500 calories.

What sort of food do you eat?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Yes, you should eat more calories! If you lose too much weight, your body will stel nutrients from your breastmilk, and your baby will not get what he needs.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 2:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• find a new dr
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I always lose weight when i'm pregnant and after I have my babies, and i've never had to stop breastfeeding. Maybe he/she's concerned that because your losing weight your baby won't get everything he/she needs.....but unless your baby is not gaining weight, I wouldnt' worry about it!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• It really depends. How much do you weigh?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• I eat good. I get all my food groups in everyday. I will just try to eat more im really not hungry and what I do eat is because I know I need to. I also eat out about 2 times a week because my husband is in a band and were gone alot. But its places like subway and salad bars. I dont drink whole milk or use oils to cook with but maybe I will try that.
    Lacrisha

Comment by Lacrisha (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• mom_2_cuties is exactly right.

Just wanted to add, make sure you're not filling up on empty calories. I get super skinny while breastfeeding so I understand where you're coming from. I just keep healthy foods around, I snack often, and I avoid the temptation of junk. It's hard for me because I'm a Dr. Pepper addict but it's way worth it. As long as you know you're eating healthy then don't worry about it and find a new Dr. if they continue to harass you about it.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• What most people have said so far, I agree with. The concern is for your health because of your body stealing nutrients, and your baby not getting everything needed. Maybe try increasing your calorie intake a little and see if that helps some. That's the only thing I can really think to say about it. And also make sure that you're not eating empty calorie foods.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2010