Books to read for 11 yr old boy that has ADD and doesn't like to read?

My SS needs to read more. He is lacking in english. What books do you have that would be good at this age?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Harry Potter! That book made my 8 year old love reading. He's also ADD, got it from me. We also have the books on tape that all my kids LOVE. The narrator is great. He can follow along with the audio books to try to stay more focused.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 2:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Teacher here :) Let him read whatever he wants :) By this I mean, if he like comic books or books about robots or space or whatever he is into.

Usually if a book can capture their attention with topic, then they dont realize they are learning :) And with ADD it needs to be something THEY want to read to keep their attention!

Even if you get him a magazine subsription of his choosing! That is STILL reading and may help him to realize he DOES like it :) There are all types of magazines out there on different topics.

Good luck :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• First start with what interests him... and go from there.

But I'll tell you first hand that "Captain Underpants" is ALWAYS a win!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Percy Jackson books. Nicholas Flamel series. Harry Potter.
    Sports Illustrated Kids. National Geographic Kids.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• What things capture his interest best?

What about a comic book?

Directions for a model car.

Have him read signs...a grocery list..anything.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• When I was his age I was reading any book on adventures and the west I could get my hands on....My favorites, though they were geared for younger children I think, were the Encyclopedia Brown stories..they're short mysteries, each one is only a page or three long. I agree with the Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson stuff, and the Nicholas Flamel books. I've read all of those a few times and loved them each time. It does depend on his tastes tho, he might prefer books that are more sporty, or more real life. Also recommend the C.S.Lewis Chronicles of Narnia. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• My younger sister has ADD and hates to read, but she found some books that she likes and she will read them. Maybe a movie to book one. My sister loved Because of Winn Dixie. She also tried to read the Twilight books since everyone at school was reading them, she found them to be a little bit too much and never finished. My parents found she did better with shorter books because there was less time for her to drop interest in it. I agree with BradenIsMySon find something that he's interested in, it doesn't have to be a book. Maybe a magazine subscription for something he's interested in, because even if he just looks at the pictures mostly if his intrest is sparked he'll probably end up at least looking at the article.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• The Sheep In a Jeep series. Any books that have good pictures and not alot of words. It's good if the words rhyme. Don't force it. If he knows how to read that's what's important.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Goosebumps? I'm not sure what age it's for, but I saw on Netflix they have the shows for that. I have always liked to read books, then watch the movies...maybe if he knows he'll be able to watch the movies after reading the book, it will be more interesting for him. Or even just magazines?
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2010